BasiliskII sound quits, then freezes

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

BasiliskII sound quits, then freezes

Post by starfiretbt »

When I play games on BasiliskII occasionally the sound will cease but it still works. Of course what good is a game without sound so without any better idea I try to restart or shut down Basilisk but when I do it freezes and I have to use task manager to close it. This is especially frustrating with a long game that can't be saved.
I am running the latest version of Basilisk (30-04-2020) so that might be the reason. It is hard to test however as the sound issue doesn't happen on cue. I am also running on Windows 10. My GUI settings look to be the right settings for a "Quadra, Centris 610,650,800" ROM, according to a chart I saw under my other post on the "best ROM's to use." Is there additional software I should download from somewhere like Mac Garden, should I switch to a different version of Basilisk, or is there anything else I can do?
I understand emulating a 90's Mac isn't an exact science.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: BasiliskII sound quits, then freezes

Post by adespoton »

Did you erase your PRAM file after switching ROMs? Or are you using the newer SDL2 builds that don't seem to be saving the ROM file?

In the second case, going into Monitors & Sound (or Sound) control panel before running the game might help.

Also, which game titles are these? Filling in your details on https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 would be a help to me :)
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I did not erase my PRAM file, thank you for that advice. I was not sure what you mean by SDL2 but I do see a file called SDL.dll in my folder which I also did not touch, so if that is not compatible with the ROM (by the way, I used to use a quadra650 ROM before I saw a guide which stated "Quadra, Centris 610, 650, 800" using was the best for BasiliskII) or the newer BasiliskII app then that might be the problem.
As for the games I have been playing, I have been playing games like "Maelstrom," "Asterax," "Risk," "Leprechaun," many others from my childhood. Those games on that spreadsheet look like miniMac games which I have also tried playing on BasiliskII. They didn't work, obviously. I am going to try getting miniMac so I can play my childhood for those.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adespoton wrote:Or are you using the newer SDL2 builds that don't seem to be saving the ROM file?
Do you mean the PRAM file?
That issue was fixed today in kanjitalk755 source for SDL2 BasiliskII for macOS and Linux. I posted a new build with the fix for macOS. I do not know if the issue also affected SDL2 BasiliskII for Windows.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes; I blame that one on Autocorrect :}
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I saw that page. It looks like a build for a maxOSX and you said Linux. I have Windows 10. But I deleted my PRAM file and a new one is in its place so if anything happens again I will let you guys know. Unless you guys have any better builds that are windows compatible. Also I am not sure what to do about SDL2 or the SDL.dll file.
EDIT: I was playing a game of "Space Madness" and the sound went out again. When I went to shut down BasiliskII the program froze and is now not responding so is there a better build or SDL.dll file?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

starfiretbt wrote:Also I am not sure what to do about SDL2 or the SDL.dll file.
No need to worry about the SDL.dll file. Just leave it alone.
Older BasiliskII builds for Windows are built against SDL1. Those builds need the SDL.dll file.
The newest BasiliskII builds available here are built with SDL2. SDL2 is built into the program. These SDL2 builds do not need the SDL.dll file. The file does no harm either, it is simply ignored by the newer builds.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun May 17, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

So I tried the other advice by going to my control panel and selecting monitors & sound before playing a game. I got a message saying...
"Monitors & Sound cannot operate correctly on this Macintosh. Monitors & Sound requires a Power Macintosh.
To use Monitors & Sound, please use a Power Macintosh."
I'm going to guess this is the source of my problems. Am I using the wrong ROM because I read the ROM I am using is the best for Basilisk?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I don't think this has anything to do with your ROM.

This is really weird. How could a PPC Monitors & Sound control panel be installed in a 68k system?

Which Mac System version or Mac OS version do you run in BasiliskII? How did you install it?
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

By mac system do you mean "Mac Model ID" from BasiliskIIGUI? I set it to Quadra 900(MacOS 8.x). If you mean how I set up BasiliskII I used this guide https://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup. Do you think I set it up wrong? Should I try again?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I mean the installed System or Mac OS.

If you followed the guide you mention, the installed OS is System 7.5.3. You can check the installed System in Apple menu > About This Macintosh...

If you run System 7.5.3, how could you have a Monitors & Sound control panel installed? System 7.5.3 does not have a Monitors & Sound control panel. It has a separate Sound control panel and a separate Monitors control panel.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

As a side note:
The suggestion by adespoton to go "into Monitors & Sound (or Sound) control panel before running the game" was intended for when you run an SDL2 build that may not save a PRAM file. In the meantime it became clear that the issue only affected the SDL2 builds for macOS and Linux (now solved), not the builds for Windows. You proved it yourself: You run the 30-04-2020 build, which is a SDL2 build, and after you removed the PRAM file it was recreated by BasiliskII.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As an aside, I've now tested the new macOS build on System 7.0.1 through 7.5.1 (including Performa builds) and it appears to be functioning correctly with the XPRAM files and audio.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

"About this Macintosh" says I am running a system software 7.5.5 which I think I read in the directions as an option so I took it. Should I downgrade and reinstall just a 7.5.3?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

7.5.5 is fine, it should be more stable than 7.5.3. But also 7.5.5 does not have a Monitors & Sound control panel. How did it get there? Did you do additional installations?
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

This is what I got, how it got there I don't know...
This is the computer I am emulating...
This is what is on my install hard drive...
Oh and this is what happens when I click on "Monitors and Sound"...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Select the Sound control panel. I have no idea how that Monitors & Sound CP got in there, but you shouldn't be using it on that system. It's likely you've got a bunch of other junk in there intended only for SheepShaver and not BII. Probably told the installer to "install everything".
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Could be. I see more items that should only be installed on a PPC Mac. But there are also items that do not exist in my 7.5.5 installation in SheepShaver. And there is a lot more installed than on my 7.5.5 installation in BasiliskII. I have 'only' 31 control panels in 7.5.5 in BasiliskII.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

So do I delete or uninstall the files under control panel that are for power mac? Or should I just make another system folder using the window's tutorial? Here's the rest of my control panel, I didn't show everything before
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It may be a good idea to do a clean install on a clean disk image, and then move over the files you want to keep. Your existing image has a very odd collection of files from different systems.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I remade another system 7.5.3 folder with nothing in it except what was in the tutorial on https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup and I got all the way to the section "What Else" and I still have the "Monitors and Sound" control panel
With the same problem
I will play some games to see if the sound issue is still there before I upgrade to 7.5.5

EDIT: By the way, the tutorial claims that the system 7.5.3 folder should be a minimum of 100MB. I set it to 500MB. Is that okay or should I make it more or less?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I never had a good look at the BasiliskII tutorial for Windows because I am usually occupied with the emulators for OSX/macOS. In my opinion the instructions for installation are wrong.
Three: In the upper left-hand corner of the screen that now appears there is a box that says “Easy Install.” Click the arrow in the box to get a drop down menu. Select “custom install” from that menu. The window will change to a list of installation options that you can chose from. Click the small arrow beside “System Software” to reveal a list of system options. Click the box beside “Universal Install for Any Macintosh” (see figure seven). Scroll down and click the arrow beside “Networking & Connectivity” then click the box beside “Open Transport” and the box beside “Network Software Selector.” Installing these two components will make it easier to go online within your emulated Macintosh.
A “Universal Install for Any Macintosh” will install all those unneeded files for all kinds of Macs, both 68k and PPC.

You do not need to do a custom installation and you should certainly not do a “Universal Install for Any Macintosh”. An "Easy install" is equivalent to a custom installation of the "System Software for this Macintosh" and it should include "Open Transport" software and the "Network Software Selector" that is needed to activate the Open Transport software.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

starfiretbt wrote:By the way, the tutorial claims that the system 7.5.3 folder should be a minimum of 100MB. I set it to 500MB. Is that okay or should I make it more or less?
You mean the blank hard disk image you create? The volume should be "at least" 100MB. 500MB is better. (For the macOS version of BasiliskII we advise 500MB or 1000MB.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald, do you know if the Windows build of Basilisk II can handle the sparse image format? I presume it can't do sparse bundles, but sparse images should work unless BII hands image handling off to the OS.

If someone's willing to try, I can create a few sparse images for people to test with. It'd be great to be able to create a 2GB sparse image that takes up 3KiB plus whatever gets written to it.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

Sorry to interrupt you guys but I figured it out. I replaced my BasiliskII (30-04-2020) with BasiliskII (15-01-2010) and I didn't have the sound problem or the freezing problem. I think there is something wrong with BasiliskII (30-04-2020), either that or just copying the .exe file screwed up my program. I will let you guys know if anything else goes wrong or if the problem returns. So far the only problem I have now is that annoying "The CD-ROM driver file... is missing" message and some of the games seem to be slow at unimportant times.