Can't replace "QuickTime," it's in use

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Can't replace "QuickTime," it's in use

Post by starfiretbt »

I am trying to play the game "Marathon" and in order to play music I think I am supposed to move a "quicktime 2.0" folder into my "system folder" but it won't let me because it says "You cannot replace the system extension "QuickTime" because it is in use." How do I stop using "QuickTime?"

EDIT: If I delete the extension will that allow me to replace it?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Can't replace "QuickTime," it's in use

Post by Jorpho »

You know you can play Marathon on any Windows PC using Aleph One, right? It should be much, much easier than emulation.
https://alephone.lhowon.org/

Anyway, if you hold down Shift while the emulated Macintosh boots up, it will boot with extensions off.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

That worked, at least the basilisk issue is solved. The quicktime gladly copied over to the system folder. The game still isn't letting me turn on background music but I will try to figure that out tomorrow. As for the pc version I will look at that. I kind of want the original mac version.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Next time, look at the file versions in Finder Info. You probably downgraded QuickTime by replacing a newer version (2.5) by a an older version (2.0).
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

That's exactly what it said. Are you saying I should just have left the QuickTime alone and transferred the other file? There were three files (not including the instructions) in the folder that the instructions said to put in my system folder, one file was for a power pc which I think I didn't need, one was the QuickTime file, the other was something called "QuickTime Musical Instruments" which I guess gives QuickTime the ability to play the music of "Marathon."
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

"Quicktime" is actually a collection of extensions and system files, and depending on your version of Quicktime and your version of Mac OS, these will be different. Best thing to do is search for all the components in the System Folder and check that their version info lines up with the version of Quicktime you want installed.

Quicktime Musical Instruments provides support for software MIDI instruments; I don't believe Marathon uses these.

As for Marathon vs Aleph One... Aleph One is just a re-deployment of the game engine for modern devices; it uses the same game files as Marathon -- so the in-game interface, gameplay, and graphics are identical.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You should not have replaced the files. Normally you should not downgrade QuickTime. Later QuickTime versions are backward compatible. Updating to a later version is usually done with an installer application. The instructions to put the files into the System Folder were probably intended for a System version that did not yet have QuickTime installed.