Getting Files from my MacII si to my Basillisk System 7

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

slichtman
Student Driver

Getting Files from my MacII si to my Basillisk System 7

Post by slichtman »

Hi everyone.

I am really struggling with getting my downloads from my MAC Mojave to a usable disk image. I create the image, but the filesystems are not compatible.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

-Stephen
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Getting Files from my MacII si to my Basillisk System 7

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

No need to use disk images. You can use the shared folder/Unix disk feature with System 7 if you install the File System Manager extension. You can find the extension on Macintosh Garden: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/file-system-manager-12

Make sure you use a recent BasiliskII build as posted in this forum. Older builds cannot handle resource forks on the Unix disks with APFS file system on the host.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

But how can the original poster get the extension into his Basilisk system if he can't use the shared folder? (I'm not being difficult - it just isn't clear to me how it can be done.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Good question. I should have thought of that.

- Get HFS Disk Maker application. In the "All Downloads" section in our wiki is a link to the post where you can download it and where you can read how to use it.
- Get the File System Manager from Macintosh Garden and expand the archive on your Mojave host
- Use HFS Disk Maker to create a HFS disk image from the folder.
- Add the disk image to the volumes list in BasiliskII GUI
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... just realized that the archive I stuck on Macintosh Garden under "Helper Extensions for BII" is a Stuffit 1.2 archive and not a disk image. I should probably make a Disk Copy 4.2 version of that as well to make it easier to load.
slichtman
Student Driver

Post by slichtman »

Disk image creation failed: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 "The file “rsrc” doesn’t exist." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/myuser/macemu/Shared/Disks/.DS_Store/..namedfork/rsrc, NSUnderlyingError=0x60000093def0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That will happen when the folder contains a .DS_Store file. As soon as you open the folder in macOS, that file is created.
After expanding the archive, do not open the folder. Creating the disk image should then work.
slichtman
Student Driver

Post by slichtman »

After making sure there is no .DS Store, I get a different error. I am able to easily convert the other executable files, but not the .sits

When I mount the volume, the mac has me format the disk.

Creating disk image.

Disk image creation failed: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 "The file “rsrc” doesn’t exist." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/user/Downloads/file_system_manager_sdk1.sit/..namedfork/rsrc, NSUnderlyingError=0x60000152efa0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}
slichtman
Student Driver

Post by slichtman »

Also how do I decompress .sit on my Mojave? I am unable to use the extension from Macgarden because I cannot create an image.

Thank you
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

slichtman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:51 pm Also how do I decompress .sit on my Mojave?

Thank you
You'd use either The Unarchiver (great, because it handles almost every archive format you're likely to find), or Stuffit Expander for 64-bit macOS.