Basillisk Creating SCSI drives apples HD/SC Setup recognizes

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

slichtman
Student Driver

Basillisk Creating SCSI drives apples HD/SC Setup recognizes

Post by slichtman »

Is there a way to fool the OS so the apple system tools can format the disks? I have some old security software like Empower that cannot perform volume lock.

Thank you
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basillisk Creating SCSI drives apples HD/SC Setup recognizes

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The only way to format drives from the guest is to use "Erase" in the Finder.

When a disk image is labeled locked on the host, it will appear as locked volume in the guest.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

In order for Apple HD/SC Setup to format a disk, the emulator must fully emulate SCSI as it uses SCSI calls to write a driver partition to the disk. Modern Basilisk II does not emulate SCSI, but build 142 on Windows does; you may want to check that out. Otherwise, there's SoftMac XP and PCE/Macplus, both of which handle SCSI emulation.
slichtman
Student Driver

Post by slichtman »

Is there something in the future to emulate SCSI? Having my Old Mac on my Mac is the coolest thing. I stay away from windows for obvious reasons ;)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

slichtman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:06 pm Is there something in the future to emulate SCSI? Having my Old Mac on my Mac is the coolest thing. I stay away from windows for obvious reasons ;)
I don't believe I've seen plans by anyone to integrate SCSI emulation back into BII. Which means right now, the only macOS native emulator that emulates SCSI is PCE/macplus -- although I also think MESS does some rudimentary emulation as well. In both cases, this emulation is for 68000-based black and white macs.

I do, however, run SoftMac XP under Catalina via WineSkin without difficulties. It looks very windows-y, so I only ever spin it up when I need to do something SCSI related, but it does that job very well.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There has been this port for Windows for years now:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cockatrice/

Best,
Cat_7
slichtman
Student Driver

Post by slichtman »

What about build 94 of Basilisk II? I see SCSI options. I know its old and booted my mac with it. Is there any documentation on setting up SCSI disks? I was able to now setup SCSI from Windows XP to my MAc, but the drive will not stay persistent. Silverlining sees it, mounts, but the Mac will not boot. Any ideas?