One faulty shutdown and BII won't recognize disk/volume OR bin volume

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

PappaSlask
Space Cadet

One faulty shutdown and BII won't recognize disk/volume OR bin volume

Post by PappaSlask »

I had a bad shutdown with BII (7.5.3) and when I started it up again a bin file containing a game that was added as volume PLUS a 1gb volume had disappeared. I managed to get the 1gb volume back online by renaming it. But when I try to load the bin file in BasiliskGUI/volumes again I get the following error message: "this disk is unreadable by this machintosh"

I thought that BII messed up the bin file so I re-downloaded it and added it again, but it made no difference, same error when I load into OS.

Please help me :/
PappaSlask
Space Cadet

Re: One faulty shutdown and BII won't recognize disk/volume OR bin volume

Post by PappaSlask »

UPDATE, after fiddling around randomly, ticking, unticking settings, loading, unloading the bin/cue files into basilisk and restarting randomly, basically trying messing around, It now finally detected the bin/cue files as a volume again. . .

I don't understand why it's behaving like that. By the way, does anyone know where the Extension Folder is located? The OS keep telling me to put things into the extension folder, I find a folder called EM Extensions, but when I click on it it just gives the same message:

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The Extensions folder is in the System Folder. System extensions need to be installed in the Extensions folder. They will be active after the next startup.

Some software needs additional system functionality. Needed extensions are provided with such software. Sometimes newer versions are already installed. Make sure you do not install older versions of extensions over newer versions of those extensions.
PappaSlask
Space Cadet

Post by PappaSlask »

Thanks! I'm trying to install the Quicktime 2.5 Plugins "Authoring Extras" and "Goodies" because I have some issues in a game when the game tries to overlay live action video onto the normal background graphics (point and click game called Rednex) The screen just gets stuck when the movie clip commences, pressing Alt+Q until a windows pops up asking if I really want to quick seen to unstuck the game and the movie can play normally at full speed. But this is very annoying and it feels as if I'm missing something.

Here's where I get stuck. And the intro plays rellay slow too.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

System 7.5.3 has QuickTime 2.1 installed. Not sure if updating to QuickTime 2.5 will improve the game experience.

"Authoring Extras" and "Goodies" are certainly not Extensions.
PappaSlask
Space Cadet

Post by PappaSlask »

I can't even mount the Bin and Cue file into Basilisk now, all I'm getting is "this disk is unreadable" ... Which is strange, since it worked just fine yesterday. Why is Basilisk so back and forth. One day something works fine, the next moment it just decides to stop working entirely.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The way you describe your situation, I suppose you are on a Windows host. I am on macOS, but that should not make a difference in the way BasiliskII behaves.

I downloaded the Rednex game from Macintosh Garden.

I cannot mount the .bin file, MacOS wants to initialize it. Apparently the .bin file does not need to mounted to run the game. I made sure to lock the files so their content cannot be changed and I added the .cue file to the volumes list. If you did not lock the files, download the files again and make sure they are write-protected.

When BasiliskII is started, the "IBW_RDNX" disk appears on the desktop. It opens automatically. I start the "RedNex 68 k" game from the opened disk window.

At first I had the same kind of problem:
Sometimes the game ran fine, sometimes it froze. When it froze, there was no way out but a force-shutdown of BasiliskII (Control-Escape).

There were two places where the game would freeze: At the very beginning, even before 'ALUMINIUM' appears, and at the end of the intro after the elevator crash. When it did not freeze at one of these points, the game continued to run.

I tried several things, but this worked here:

Using the 'Extensions Manager' control panel, I disabled the 'Sound Manager' extension, shut down BasiliskII and started it again. No more freezes.

This should work for you also!

Note: The .bin file does not need to mounted in BasiliskII, but it needs to be available in same location as the .cue file. Here on macOS I have both files in a folder "Rednex", both files locked, and only the .cue file added to the volumes list.