Moving large files

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Moving large files

Post by starfiretbt »

My hard drive in BasiliskII that has my games has run out of space so I created a new drive and tried to move everything from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. However my new drive has 487.6 mb and 908 items on it while my old has 492.1 and 914 items which tells me not everything was moved.
How do I move everything from one drive to another safely without losing anything? I can't tell what is missing.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Moving large files

Post by emendelson »

I don't know enough about the Mac OS file system to be certain, but I suspect that your old drive had some temporary, invisible files that didn't get copied to the new drive. I've always seen the same effect - fewer files, more free space - after copying a whole drive image to another drive image.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Re: Moving large files

Post by starfiretbt »

Ok that makes sense, thank you. As long as the files I want get transferred I'm happy. I'll keep the volume, file, or disk (whatever it may be called) for a while before I delete it just in case somebody knows differently but I'm sure your right.