myst

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

bamdad
Tinkerer

myst

Post by bamdad »

greetings,

i have an original myst cdrom, which has become unusable since the 90's. luckily i've found a myst.cdr floating around the internet, and downloaded it. since i own the original game, this can be legally considered a backup. but enough of this.

the image seems to be a standard mac cd, so i've added it as a cdrom in the .basiliskii_prefs file, and booted my mac os 8.1 (i'm using 8.1 because of the hfs+ support, but with the 7.6.1 finder since i hate platinum - this system has never given me problems so far). i dragged the files indicated in the game's readme to my hard disk (image), and started the game.

here's the fun part: i get an error dialog box with the text 'an error t107 occurred' with only one button: cancel. fair enough, i pressed cancel, just to see the borderbund and cyan intro playing nicely with sound, too. first i thought it's a quickdraw error (8.1's quickdraw might be too recent for myst), but now i'm confused. more so that after the logos and the intro playing nicely, i only see a blank screen with the myst cursor (little pointing hand), and if i try to quit the game with cmd-q, it only gives me the error dialog again.. and then back to the blank screen.

did anybody manage to get myst working on basilisk?

btw, don't even get me started with realmyst. :) i own that, too, but it's broken under snow leopard (oddly enough it gives me an error 'there was an error preparing opengl. reinstall blablabla').. i was hoping for a patch, but macplay's site is gone for good. :(( i only want to play this awesome game again, and i feel robbed in all ways possible. :(

sorry for my ranting, i'll bold out the relevant parts.

thank you,
bamdad
Mike_
Student Driver

Yes, it can be done

Post by Mike_ »

I've got Myst running fine in Basilisk.

First off, that great game will work even in OS 9.2.2 with the latest QT (6.0.3), so don't worry about your system's components being to new.

What could be important is the Basilisk setting to "Ignore illegal memory accesses". I have this setting active.

I'm having Basilisk emulating a MacIIci with 256MB ram running OS 7.5.5. I've chosen this for better compatibility with some very old games. But, as I said, Myst will even run on the very latest version of OS9, so it shouldn't matter here.
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

that's odd.. i'll try to boot with only the essential system extensions, maybe that'll help. if it doesn't, there's a good chance that my downloaded image is corrupted. i wish the cd was still working.. :(

i also have the 'ignore illegal memory access' checked, but it shouldn't make a big difference, since it mostly affects the basiliskii executable and reduces the likelihood of a total crash with sigsegv; it hasn't much to do with the guest os.

thanks anyway. ;)
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

okay. no luck with only system extensions on. but i've tried it with os 9 and sheepshaver, and it works flawlessly. that _is_ odd. :)
Mike_
Student Driver

Post by Mike_ »

I've just tried to run Myst in Basilisk running a freshly installed OS 7.6.1.

It shows the same odd behaviour that you described!!!
Anything else seems to be ok, though..

Back to 7.5.5: Myst is ok again. (Scratching my head...)
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

well then it's not our fault, more like apple's or broderbund's. :) thanks for trying, now i can be sure.

anyway, works like a charm on os 9.
JPWiggin
Space Cadet

Post by JPWiggin »

How did you run it on 7.5.5? I also keep getting the t107 error also, and I have quicktime and the sound application in the extensions folder. Instead of going on to show the opening, though, basiliskii crashes.
bamdad
Tinkerer

Post by bamdad »

well, i did a fresh install of 7.5.3, updated to 7.5.5, and installed (copied) myst. i didn't copy myst's version of the system extensions, since they were older. i used the 'z' (international) version of the system, if i recall correctly.

if you run into problems, try doing a fresh install, and i've noticed better results with mounting the cd image _inside_ the emulated system. of you have a cd, you can always make a copy of it with disk copy.
or just run it in sheepshaver. that did the job for me, and since the new version of sheepshaver, i've stopped using basilisk completely. if you haven't large files/disk images, i suggest using sheepshaver with 7.6.1 or 8.1. it's a great and snappy combo, and what doesn't run on that has a good chance of not running on basilisk, too.
IIsi 50MHz
Space Cadet

Post by IIsi 50MHz »

Error t107 is a HyperCard talk error meaning "No such menu item." You see "t107" because many error strings have been stripped from the Myst application (probably to save space).

HyperCard 2.x, HyperCard Player: Error Code List (12/93)
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA37954

This implies that Myst (which is really a modified copy of HyperCard Player) is sending a HyperTalk menu command for a menu item that doesn't exist at the time the command is set. This /might/ be caused by timing issues in emulation, allowing the HyperTalk to send the menu command before the menu item is actually created. Unfortunately, Myst's protection against snooping at the HyperTalk scripts is beyond my current ability to break.
Mike_
Student Driver

Post by Mike_ »

IIsi 50MHz wrote:... This /might/ be caused by timing issues in emulation ...
This rang a bell. There where problems with a lot of programs when the 68040 came to the Mac. Apple even made a special control panel, which allowed to switch the 040 into something more like a 030 (disabling caches, etc).
As I said in my earlier post, I'm running Myst in Basilisk just fine, BUT I'm emulating a IIci with a 68030 CPU.
PPC Macs (emulators) are fine too, because the built-in system 68k translater emulates a 68020.

IIRC, all posters that had problems with Myst were emulating 040 CPUs, which may be the reason.
IIsi 50MHz
Space Cadet

Post by IIsi 50MHz »

That sounds vaguely familiar, although I ran Myst on a IIsi and 640AV without changing anything. I remember a 040 Cache Switch thing.

That said, I was unable to change Myst's behaviour in Basilisk II by changing the CPU setting. Is it even possible to emulate less than a 040 now? I'm not using JIT anymore, since the most recent build I can get to launch without seg-faulting is from 2002, some things run more reliably without JIT, and I've (at long last) a beefy computer.

Fortunately, I found that Myst runs in Mini vMac now, using the alpha minivmac-3.2.1-100126-wx86. I had to copy the CD to a hardfile, but it works. Of course, sound in the alpha is barely functional, so Myst and everything else sounds like 8 or 11 KHz.
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Re: myst

Post by MichaelKlaube »

BTW/perhaps off topic

Myst works in Qemu/Catalina/Mac OS 9 with sound flawless without the timing issue related to the t107 bug.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just so you know, Myst is in ScummVM now, which makes it a bit more playable on modern OSes.
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

But as far as I know only the Windows Versions!?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yup... because it emulates the runtime engine the Windows versions use.

It'd be pretty cool if ScummVM got a Hypercard emulator though... suddenly I'd be able to use it to run all my old stacks!
MichaelKlaube
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MichaelKlaube »

Ok.
But I want to play the original Mac version, so therefore is Emaculation:-)
And for the HyperCard stacks there are also possibilties here:-)))
:D
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I think someone else already mentioned MiniVMac II.
Myst seems to work that way with System 7.1 on my side, could be the .toast has to be converted to an uncompressed .img image to have it mounted with MiniVMac and System 7.
DiskCopy 6 does create .img files from mounted volumes including toast, as you will know.
No idea whether the game is actually playable that way, but maybe a starting point.