cannot open ROM file

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Quadra650
Space Cadet

cannot open ROM file

Post by Quadra650 »

Its been a VERY long time since I was on a MAC. I am trying to run a piece of software called cryptdisk that created an encrypted file on the drive. I have both cryptdisk and the file but I cannot get an emulation working...

I keep getting the "cannot open rom file" message and I am not sire how to point it at:
Starterdisk.hfv
or
System70_boot.dsk
that i have downloaded along with several OSs from Mac Garden.

BIG NEVERMIND. Read the help file:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup

now how do I get cryptdisk off my old mac hard drive in the Quadra 650. I do not have keyboard, mouse or monitor for it, but im sure it would boot if I did.

Can you plug a HD of this era into a win 7 64bit windows box somehow?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: cannot open ROM file

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems your old Quadra used a SCSI interface to connect up the hard disk.
In order to possibly get access to the disk, you would need a SCSI controller card with drivers for Windows and the right connector. Even then, it might prove difficult to get Basilisk to actually read from the disk.
If you should choose to go that way, perhaps it would be better to try Basilisk 142 for Windows, as it has SCSI support built in.

Alternatively you could find an external SCSI enclosure to put the disk in and ask someone with an old mac with SCSI port to read the disk?

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: cannot open ROM file

Post by emendelson »

It's pretty roundabout, but you might try borrowing (or buying on eBay) an old Mac laptop with a SCSI port; connect it to the Quadra, and start up the Quadra in target disk mode. Then copy the files to a floppy disk in the laptop. Almost any early PowerBook would do the job. I really doubt that any emulator will help here, but that's just guessing on my part.