Windows 8.1 option key

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

alfargnoli
Space Cadet

Windows 8.1 option key

Post by alfargnoli »

It looks like Windows won't allow the program to see the Windows key. Unfortunately, I've assigned 58 to many rows of the sdl table in BasiliskII_keycodes. I'm wondering if SDL_VideoDriverName() returns something that isn't in the default keycodes file that came with the Basilisk II download. Is there anyway to find out what is being returned by SDL_VideoDriverName() call without becoming a developer?
neozeed
Apple Corer

Re: Windows 8.1 option key

Post by neozeed »

alfargnoli wrote:It looks like Windows won't allow the program to see the Windows key. Unfortunately, I've assigned 58 to many rows of the sdl table in BasiliskII_keycodes. I'm wondering if SDL_VideoDriverName() returns something that isn't in the default keycodes file that came with the Basilisk II download. Is there anyway to find out what is being returned by SDL_VideoDriverName() call without becoming a developer?
probably not. It's not that hard to add printf's take the leap!
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
alfargnoli
Space Cadet

Post by alfargnoli »

I don't even have the source code.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

It depends on the build and keyboard you’re using. Left-Windows as Option works with my Dell keyboard, running 8.1. Rarely is there an issue with builds 142 and 143, but the start screen also comes up with the SDL builds. It may be that SDL doesn’t have all of the keys mapped.

What keyboard are you using? Build?
alfargnoli
Space Cadet

Post by alfargnoli »

Where would I find version information? The .EXE says it was created on Jan 15, 2010. I've got the standard cheesy keyboard that came with my Dell February 2015. The SDL .DLL says it was created on December 30, 2007.
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

The version information of course should viewable via File:Properties:Details.
However, the newer builds omit Windows module resources, including a version number.
There's always an About dialog in the older Windows-specific x86 builds; if there is no About dialog, it's an SDL build.
I've downloaded several versions of Basilisk II over the years. The one I found corresponding to 2010-Jan-15, as you mentioned, has a file size of exactly 2,161,152 bytes. The Windows keys work in the build with my 2014 Dell keyboard (but untrapped by the build; the Start screen shows up when pressed).

As for the keyboard, does it have the Scroll Lock and Pause/Break keys? My Dell keyboard doesn't have those. On the bottom of the keyboard, there should be an identification number and possibly a revision. Rev A03, an even older one, has SL and Pause.

Here's a link for my latest demo executable with native keydown printing added. If you could, launch the executable, sequentially press the Windows keys (or any keys of your choosing), close with the close box, then view stdout.txt to see the actual indices for the keys (as seen by the OS) in order of pressing. These indices, I think, are supposed be the same as those used in the B2/SS key mapping files. (The other stuff above in the text file will indicate accuracy of the system timer and the color depth used for the window— these can be ignored.) It may be good to see what the 'apps' key (the one with the hierarchical menu on it) goes to as well, since it varies considerably depending on what keyboard is used. If anything shows up as '255' then the associated key(s) are not mappable (may be locked out by software).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

We should probably compile a list of builds and their MD5s on the wiki for easier tracking. Or, when people build, just add in the date on the version string :)