Can't see or start games/applications...

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Can't see or start games/applications...

Post by MeneerJansen »

I've installed BasiliskII via my pacjkagemanager on Linux. And I've gotten System 7 to boot in the emulator. Now I want to play Prince of Persia 2 but I cannot find the icon to click anywhere.

This is the Basilisk config screen:

The "disk image" for Prince2 that I have is called "Prince2Mac.sit". Can an .sit file directly be executed on System 7 by clickin on it when you've found it?

Sorry foor the NOOB question.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Can't see or start games/applications...

Post by adespoton »

.sit is the Classic Mac analog to .zip for Windows and .tgz for Linux. You need to stick it on an image, or put it in your shared folder (and enable the shared folder in prefs). Then you need to have Stuffit Expander installed on your System 7 image to unstuff it. Also, you're probably going to want to use the freely-available System 7.5.3, NOT 7.0.1* as 7.0.1 doesn't come with the extension required to access the BII shared folder. Prince of Persia works fine on 7.5.3; I don't recall being able to use it on 7.0.1 (it wasn't ported until around 7.1 days anyway).

Something to note is that you've probably destroyed the system_7.0.1.smi.bin file, as the .bin (Apple Double encoding) is sort of equivalent to .tar, and .smi means it's a self-mounting executable (you run it inside System 7, and it mounts a virtual disk). .bin and .hqx are formats used to preserve the resource fork on non-HFS filesystems.
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

adespoton wrote:.sit is the Classic Mac analog to .zip for Windows and .tgz for Linux. You need to stick it on an image, or put it in your shared folder (and enable the shared folder in prefs). Then you need to have Stuffit Expander installed on your System 7 image to unstuff it. Also, you're probably going to want to use the freely-available System 7.5.3, NOT 7.0.1* as 7.0.1 doesn't come with the extension required to access the BII shared folder. Prince of Persia works fine on 7.5.3; I don't recall being able to use it on 7.0.1 (it wasn't ported until around 7.1 days anyway).

Something to note is that you've probably destroyed the system_7.0.1.smi.bin file, as the .bin (Apple Double encoding) is sort of equivalent to .tar, and .smi means it's a self-mounting executable (you run it inside System 7, and it mounts a virtual disk). .bin and .hqx are formats used to preserve the resource fork on non-HFS filesystems.
Thanks for the clarifications!

One of the problems is that the OS 7 (disc) images that are referred to in the Emaculation Wiki are not downloadable from Apple anymore. That is, the following links are dead:
So I download some other OS 7 image from a link posted in youtube. It's called 'System 7.5.5 Boot.dsk'. It's 63 MB big, so I think that it contains the complete OS. When I start BasiliskII then I get this:

I'm afraid I've no Idea what to to do. If I click "Cancel" then I can browse to the folder w/ Prince2 in it but my emulated Mac says that it cannot be opened.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

MeneerJansen wrote:One of the problems is that the OS 7 (disc) images that are referred to in the Emaculation Wiki are not downloadable from Apple anymore.
So we posted the 19 installer parts here.
(The link was updated in BasiliskII guides for OSX an Windows, but not in the guide for Linux. I will do that now.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

MeneerJansen wrote:I'm afraid I've no Idea what to to do. If I click "Cancel" then I can browse to the folder w/ Prince2 in it but my emulated Mac says that it cannot be opened.
That goes to the second part of what I said: you need a disk image with Stuffit Expander on it.

See http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/68k_software

[edit] Just noticed that the site's Expander link is a .bin, which won't help much, as you'll need Expander installed to extract it :\

So you can grab an image here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/stuffit-expander-55 -- the Image link will download an image you can add to your images list -- then just install it onto your main image, and you can start extracting .bin files.
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
MeneerJansen wrote:One of the problems is that the OS 7 (disc) images that are referred to in the Emaculation Wiki are not downloadable from Apple anymore.
So we posted the 19 installer parts here.
(The link was updated in BasiliskII guides for OSX an Windows, but not in the guide for Linux. I will do that now.)
I'm going to try to follow the Wiki to the letter now. However, I run into a problem or two here:

1. The Stuffit tar ball archive (.tar.gz) could not be extracted correctly by Linux. I had it in the BasiliskII GUI all the time but it was extracted the wrong way from the .tar.gz tar ball by Linux (I use Linux). You might want to replace the link in the wiki w/ the link that @adespoton posted. That .IMG file works!

2. I could not boot from the bootable floppy image from the Wiki (DiskTools_MacOS8.image). That too might be because the Zip archive wasn't extracted the proper way by Linux Mint 17 (which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 Long Term Support, which is based on Debian). I can see from the archive itself that it was created by MacOS X. OS X might not be as UNIX or Linux compatible as they say... Or the other way around. You might consider putting the images on the Wiki uncompressed. Disk space is cheap now a days...

3. Extracted the bootable floppy image from the command line instead via Linux's GUI. That worked. Not a lot of people know that there are a few incarnations of Zip (pkzip, 7zip, gz to name but a few). They do not work well together. I've always found that RAR works a bit better.

4. When you use said bootable floppy to start yor virtual Mac you have to choose in the BasiliskII GUI, under the tab "Memory/Misc", to emulate a Quadra even though you've got a Performa ROM (there's also a Quadra ROM but that's not recommended for BasiliskII on the redundant robot sheepshaver website where you can download the needed ROM's).

5. Got to start the virual Mac. Didn't know that you probably can not start the Stuffit installer from the Desktop (in Linux and Windows the Desktop is simply a folder on the hard disk). The emulator crashes then. Copied the Stuffit installer from the floppy disk image to the virtual hard drive that I created (200 MB must be enough for Mac OS and and the Prince2 game). Double clicked the Stuffit installer and eventually get the following error:

Note that the the Stuffit program installs fine when I use the OS 7.5 image that I downloaded from the link posted on youtube. However, Stuffit than hangs on actually trying to extract the Prince2 .SIT archive.

So I'm stuck again I'm afraid.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

- During setup you indeed need to choose to emulate a Quadra because the used boot floppy contains MacOS 8.x. The choice for emulated machine is independent from the rom file. MacOS 8.x will not run on MacIICI, 7.5.3 will run on both Quadra900 or MacIICI.

- The desktop in classic MacOS is not one single location. Each volume has its own desktop, a folder "Desktop Folder" that is hidden in the MacOS Finder. (You may see it in the shared folder on the Linux side that is represented by the "Unix" volume.) What you see on the desktop is the combined desktops of all mounted volumes. Dragging a file from a volume onto the desktop just moves the file into the Desktop Folder on that same volume.

- If you copy a file directly from the "Unix" volume to the desktop, the file is still on that "Unix" volume. Applications, like the installer, will not run from the "Unix" volume.

- The Disk Tools disk has no additional space for installations. You will need to install onto the 200MB virtual hard drive that you created. When you double click the installer, the Save dialog defaults to the startup disk. In the dialog you should be able to navigate to your "Apple disk image". Choose desktop and then the target volume.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue May 10, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:- During setup you indeed need to choose to emulate a Quadra because the used boot floppy contains MacOS 8.x. The choice for emulated machine is independent from the rom file. MacOS 8.x will not run on MacIICI, 7.5.3 will run on both Quadra900 or MacIICI.

- The desktop in classic MacOS is not one single location. Each volume has its own desktop, a folder "Desktop Folder" that is hidden in the MacOS Finder. (You may see it in the shared folder on the Linux side that is represented by the "Unix" volume.) What you see on the desktop is the combined desktops of all mounted volumes. Dragging a file from a volume onto the desktop just moves the file into the Desktop Folder on that same volume.

- If you copy a file directly from the "Unix" volume to the desktop, the file is still on that "Unix" volume. Applications, like the installer, will not run from the "Unix" volume.
Thank for the very clear explanation!
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: - The Disk Tools disk has no additional space for installations. You will need to install onto the 200MB virtual hard drive that you created. When you double click the installer, the Save dialog defaults to the startup disk. In the dialog you should be able to navigate to your "Apple disk image". Choose desktop and then the target volume.
I figured as much. Didn't know that the startup disk is called 'Disk Tools 1'. Tried to make a folder, assuming it would be on the emulated hard disk. Not so. This is because I'm not used to the MacOS interface/GUI. I thought that I could find my way in any system because I know my way around the command line interface of Linux, Windows, MS-DOS, Android, BeOS and what have you not. Well, not so! I'll tell you what I did not figure out at once: you have to click on the word "Disk Tools 1" w/ the little icon of a drive next to it. Then you can choose to install Stuffit on the (emulated) hard disk. Anyway at a certain point I see this:

If that doesn't mean that Stuffit is to be installed on the disk called "200_MB_volume" then I don't know what will. When I click on "Install" then I get the exact same error message as in my previous post (not enough room on 'Disk Tools 1' etc.). What might I be doing wrong?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

- In classic MacOS, all mounted volumes are displayed to the right on the desktop. The startup volume is always displayed at the top, in this case "Disk Tools 1", the volume name on the DiskTools image.

- I suppose you have the stuffit_expander_5.5.img added to the volumes list in the GUI in order to mount it in BasiliskII. The installer could then also be run from there.

- There is no need to create an additional Stuffit folder for this installation. As shown in the dialog, the installer will create a folder "Stuffit Expander™ 5.5". The name can be edited inside the dialog.

- The installer will not only install Stuffit Expander and documentation on the target volume, but it also installs an alias (shortcut in Windows-speak) to the Expander onto the desktop. Trying the installation, I just found that it will install that alias on the desktop of the startup volume. However, that alias file is quite small in size. Is the Disk Tools volume locked? Did you make the Disk Tools image file non-writable on the host side?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: - The installer will not only install Stuffit Expander and documentation on the target volume, but it also installs an alias (shortcut in Windows-speak) to the Expander onto the desktop. Trying the installation, I just found that it will install that alias on the desktop of the startup volume. However, that alias file is quite small in size. Is the Disk Tools volume locked? Did you make the Disk Tools image file non-writable on the host side?
I think we're getting somewhere here. I changed the rights on all the files in the dir for the Prince2 game and all its subdirs (the BasiliskII stuff is in there too). I also noticed something. BasiliskII creates a folder called "Desktop Folder" and a file called "Desktop" in the so-called "Unix Root" that you've set in the Basilisk GUI. I changed the rights on those too. But no luck.

In UNIX/Linux rights to read, write or execute a file or folder are very important! And those rights are divided, as you'll probably know, in:
  • User
  • Group
  • Rest of world
Per default new files/folders that are made by Basilisk have the following rights: "rw- --- ---" meaning that I (the user) have read and write rights, the group of the file/folder and the rest of the world have no rights. Same thing applied to the "Disk Tools 1" image. I changed the rights to all files/folders (recursively!) to "rwx rwx rwx", meaning read, write and execute rights for everybody in the world. But I've had no luck installing Stuffit yet. Still same error. It looks like the Stuffit installer refuses to install itself on my virtual Mac hard drive.
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

P.S. Could it be that the Stuffit program needs a fully functioning Operating System to be able to be installed? It might help if the System 7.5 disks weren't compressed in such a way that only a Mac can decompress them...

[edit 11-5-2016; 15:00] Yes it does. The Stuffit floppy disk image that I used was an installer. An installer needs a fully functioning OS. It will not install to hard disk when a Mac is started up from the startup up floppy.
Last edited by MeneerJansen on Wed May 11, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Stopt the press. It works...

I tried again to extract the Stuffit disk image from the tar bal from the Wiki. Seemed to go well this time (last time: error!). Added it to BasiliskII. Removed the Stuffit from the the link that @adespoton posted. That version is a different beasty all together.

The "wiki" version has no "install wizard". The Wiki Stuffit image is placed on the desktop as a volume called "System 7" (note: it actually contains the Stuffit executable). You click on that volume (i.e. disk image). Then you'll see a folder in it called "Stuffit Expander ". The Stuffit progam itself (the "executable" or the "binary" as we call it in Linux land) is in there. No "installation procedure" needed. One clicks on it and it runs. But you don't "see" that in the sense that we're used to now-a-days. There is little icon of a computer in the upper right had corner. When the mouse button is kept pressed on it you'll see that apart from the Finder (classic MacOS's shell or 'file manager') Stuffit is one of the programs "running in the back ground".

Now you can go back the hard disk to where you copied the compressed installation disks (they all have the extension .bin which means that they are compressed files and NOT binaries in the Unix/Windows sense). You have to double click each of the 19 compressed files. Though you cannot see it very well, Stuffit unpacks the file for you. Then you double click the extracted .smi file. Another "unpacking" process takes place. Now you see a folder on the Desktop with not the icon of a folder, but with the icon of a floppy disk. I copied that to my virtual hard drive. For future reference I copied it to my "real" (Linux) hard drive too. Because it took me quite the amount of puzzling to get that darn folder extracted!

Click the Installation folder open and execute the Installer. Make sure you install the Mac OS to a hard drive, not the startup floppy called "Disk Tools 1".

To be continued ...
Last edited by MeneerJansen on Wed May 11, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Well. Finally got to try to install/play Prince2. But when I click the .sit file that I downloaded from here (actual direct link) it does not get extracted well enough. The folder "Prince2" is created, but no executable file in it.

Is it the .sit file that's wrong? Could anyone of you try it? Or is there something wrong w/ my BasdiliskII installation?

[edit] Downloaded another version from here. Same problem... Official system specs for Prince 2 are Mac OS 7.1 or up...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Try the download from the Macintosh Garden site.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There is little icon of a computer in the upper right had corner. When the mouse button is kept pressed on it you'll see that apart from the Finder (classic MacOS's shell or 'file manager') Stuffit is one of the programs "running in the back ground".
That is the application menu. It shows all running applications with the frontmost application at the top. The little icon you see in the menu bar is the application that runs in front. Clicking on a window brings that window, and with it the application that owns that window, to the front. Choosing an application from the application menu also brings that application, and with it the windows that belong to that application, to the front. The little computer icon is the icon of the Finder application.

On a Mac most applications will continue to run even with all windows closed. The menu bar represents the menu bar of the frontmost application. If you want to do something with an application, opening a window, opening a file, quitting the application, you need to bring it to the front first.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed May 11, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Try the download from the Macintosh Garden site.
Believe it or not: those aren't even recognized as Stuffit archives. Nothing happens when I copy the Prince1 or Prince2 SIT files to my Mac 7.5 hard disk and click them. The also do not have the right icon. The other Prince2 SIT files have the Stuffit icon on them. The version from Macingtosh garden noes not. Very weird.... Do they work on you emulated BasiliskII Mac?
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Getting closer all the time. On the Prince of Persia "fan site" there's a complete package w/ an old versin of the Basilisk emulator and a hard disk image w/ a lot of games, including Pop2. Mounted aforementioned hard disk w/ my own BasiliskII installation, copied the Prince2 folder to my own emulated Mac hard disk (not really necassary, but ). Double clicked the Prince2 icon that actually IS present there and get the following error:

Wich I could get rif of in the old Basilisk PC version by choosing in the "Screen" tab the following:

How do I configure BasiliskII in such a way that it supports a system w/ 256 colors and 32 bit quickdraw?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Some of the issues come from the fact that you have no experience with classic MacOS.
MeneerJansen wrote:Believe it or not: those aren't even recognized as Stuffit archives. Nothing happens when I copy the Prince1 or Prince2 SIT files to my Mac 7.5 hard disk and click them. The also do not have the right icon.
Stuffit Expander will probably unpack the archives fine if you access them from Stuffit Expander instead of double-clicking them. Launch the Expander, make sure it is frontmost (see application menu) and look in the menu bar for Expand... in the File menu. (There are many versions of Stuffit archives and some may not show the correct icon in the presence of a different Stuffit version but they can be used if the archive version is older than the Expander version.)
How do I configure BasiliskII in such a way that it supports a system w/ 256 colors and 32 bit quickdraw?
You can choose different color depths in Monitors control panel in MacOS. Apple menu > Control Panels > Monitors.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed May 11, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

Read this Emaculation topic about Prince1. Might be the BasiliskII version I'm using... The complete Windows package (contianing an old Basilisk version a hard drive image and the game installed) I downloaded from the PoP fansite runs PoP2. But if I use the disk image from that emulator in "my" BasiliskII version then OS 8 starts but I cannot start the game (i.e. throws me the Quickdraw error). Even using the ROM from the Windows version wont' work.

P.S. Fiddled about a bit w/ Monitor resolution in my virtual Mac and the ting wouldn't start. Deleted the old disk image and I may try again from scratch...

P.S. 2 Indeed, I have a lot of trouble finding my way around classic Mac OS.... ;)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hm, why not use your original setup. Using files and setups I do not know makes it difficult to help you. You did install MacOS 7.5.3 didn't you? Did you remove the DiskTools image from the volumes list in the GUI after the installation? If not, then you will still start up from the 8.x Disk Tools volume. BasiliskII starts up from the first bootable volume from the top in that list.

I am not sure what you did with the "Monitor resolution". For the game you need to choose 265 colors, not necessarily a different resolution.

BTW: Are you Dutch? Living in the Netherlands?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed May 11, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

You all must be pretty fed up w/ my questions and post by now, but I'm not the type that gives up easily. ;)

@Ronald P. Regensburg: I tried to alter some settings in the control panel monitor settings (millions of colors, 256 colors etc. on 256 colors the emulator even crashes!). Unfortunately that will not solve the error messages about my virtual classic Mac missing 32 bit Quickdraw (is Quickdraw something software, or hardware?). Anyway, I decided to try to a "Custom Install" of System 7.5.3 instead of the "Easy Install". I thought that that might install the missing "32 bit Quickdraw". Ha ha. That makes the whole System 7 installation unusable. I see the following screen every time that I start my virtual Mac:

Restarting, holding down the Shift key, does not work. To make a long story short: I've made a backup of the disk image of the "Easy Install" and when I use that one then my virtual Mac works again. However, I don't think that Quickview is some software thing. Because the hard disk image that works w/ the Windows version of Basilisk does not work w/ my BasiliskII version 1.0 (my Linux package manager says 0.9.20120331-2 though). If Quickdraw were something software (or a system file) then Windows' Basilisk hard disk image version should have Quick view too when I use it in Lunux and Prince2 should start...

Can anybody explain what 32 bit Quickdraw is? And how to activate it in your (virtual) Classic Mac?

P.S. Solved another problem. The Stuffit version on the disk on the Wiki does not work for expanding the SIT files (or maybe I didn't install it properly; I copied the executable to virtual hard disk, woked fine for extracting the install disks). I installed the version of Stuffit via the installer that @adespoton posted the link too (http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/stuffit-expander-55). Installed Stuffit system wide and I could extract the SIT from Prince2. It still craches the emulator like a led Zeppelin though.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

MeneerJansen wrote:Unfortunately that will not solve the error messages about my virtual classic Mac missing 32 bit Quickdraw (is Quickdraw something software, or hardware?).
Quickdraw is a software component that should be included with the default System 7.5.3 installation, if I'm not mistaken.
I see the following screen every time that I start my virtual Mac:
Yes, A/ROSE is known to be problematic with Basilisk II.
Restarting, holding down the Shift key, does not work.
The timing is very tricky.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The A/ROSE extension is known to be incompatible with emulators. You'll need to pull it out of the System Folder:Extensions folder by mounting the image while using another boot image, or by timing holding down the shift key perfectly and then removing and rebooting.

32-bit Quickdraw is a core piece of the Mac ROM, although it is also hooked by an updated version in the system file. Your ROM/System pair use 32-bit Quickdraw (as opposed to the older 24-bit Quickdraw used in the Mac Plus).

Quickdraw is the APIs used to draw graphics to the screen. It was replaced in OS X by DisplayPDF. There was also a brief forray into QuickDraw 3D on PPC Macs that was abandoned in favour of OpenGL. Both of these rely on third party graphics accelleration cards that are not supported by emulators. So if you get a Quickdraw 3D error or an OpenGL error, that's the cause. Not an issue with PoP2 though.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The A/Rose extension is installed while doing a custom install when not left out manually during installation because that installation ignores the machine properties. It is not installed with a regular installation.

3D hardware is indeed not emulated in these emulators.

I never tried Prince of Persia 2, the earlier version of Prince of Persia runs fine here in BasiliskII. But according to the information on Macintosh Garden, also Prince of Persia 2 should run in BasiliskII. I will try it when I have the time.
MeneerJansen
Student Driver

Post by MeneerJansen »

adespoton wrote: [...] 32-bit Quickdraw is a core piece of the Mac ROM, although it is also hooked by an updated version in the system file. Your ROM/System pair use 32-bit Quickdraw (as opposed to the older 24-bit Quickdraw used in the Mac Plus).

Quickdraw is the APIs used to draw graphics to the screen. It was replaced in OS X by DisplayPDF. There was also a brief forray into QuickDraw 3D on PPC Macs that was abandoned in favour of OpenGL. Both of these rely on third party graphics accelleration cards that are not supported by emulators. So if you get a Quickdraw 3D error or an OpenGL error, that's the cause. Not an issue with PoP2 though.
That explains a lot. Thank you. The way I see it now (and I stand corrected if I'm wrong, which I probably am) is as follows. A Mac, back in the days, came shipped w/ Quickdraw 24 bit (in its ROM). That's not good enough for advanced graphics. So it was updated to Quickdraw 32 bit. That "upgrade" is simply achieved by placing the right file (the Quickdraw 32 bit file?) in the "System" directory on the hard drive of your Mac. It's what you might call a library now-a-days (Windows: DLL, Linux: shared objec or .so in the "lib" directory). The best term for it in this case is: application programming interface (API).

Anyway, where do I obtain said Quickdraw 32 file to drop in my System folder of OS 7.5.3? Strangely enough the hard disk image that comes w/ the Windows Basilisk version from this PoP fan site (the so called "PoP Macintosh Total Pack") gives me the Quickdraw error when I use it with my BasiliskII version on Linux. This might mean that the Quickdraw API is probably not in the system dir of that image. Strangely, the old deprecated Win version of Basilisk that comes with the "Macintosh Total Pack" does not complain 'bout Quickdraw. If I use the ROM that comes w/ the "PoP Macintosh Total Pack" then my Linux BasiliskII still complaines 'bout Quickdraw 32. So it's probably not in the ROM either...? Or won't BasiliskII load the Quickdraw API/extension from a ROM? That last thing seems plausible (see below).

Micht BasiliskII (for Linux) not be Quickdraw compatible? Because (bombshell, ha ha ;)): I got the Mac version of Prince2 working! But in Sheepshaver! Sheepshaver's GUI menu is almost exactly the same as BasiliskII's but under the tab "Graphics/Sound" there's a checkbox called "Quickdraw acceleration". This check box is not there in BasiliskII (for Linux, dunno 'bout the Mac or Win version). See screenshots below:

Screenshot 1. Sheepshaver for Linux.

Screenshot 2. BasiliskII for Linux. Notice the absence of the Quickdraw checkbox.

I would still like to get Prince2 working in BasiliskII and MacOS 7.5 because the music in Sheepshaver is too slow. This might be better in BasiliskII.

And I want to learn how classic Mac OS works. That is: I'd like to see the Quickdraw 32 bit API do its work by simply putting its file in the system dir. They say that a Mac costed so much more money than a PC in those days not only because of its far, far better hardware but also because of the power of this sort of major updates to the OS. Simply put a sigile API file in the system dir and your whole machine is updated in a mayor way. In Windows, or Linux for that matter, this sort of accelerated graphics updates demanded a more complicated procedure in the technical sense (for the user it simply meant clicking an "install.exe" file). If your graphics card did not fully support, for instance, Glide (3DFx, Voodoo) then it might even make your system unstable etc.

I love to learn about the inner workings of computers and operating systems. That's why I use Linux ("Put the fun back in computing"). If something doesn't work then that can make one quite irate. But when you've learned how to solve a problem and learned why and how something works like it does, that's "the fun in computing". :)