New installation keeps trying to initialize a disk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Coombsy
Space Cadet

New installation keeps trying to initialize a disk

Post by Coombsy »

Folks,
I've installed Basilisk as defined on this forum and everything was working great. I'd downloaded the OS's, installed etc. I'd even started playing about with a few old Hypercard stacks I'd written. Then I started the clean up activities:
""-On the volumes tab remove the “DiskTools_MacOS89.image” and “installerparts” disks.
-On the memory/misc tab set the mac model id to support system 7.x""

Now, when I start up the emulator I get a warning
'This disk is unreadable by this macintosh. Do you want to initialize the disk?'
Name: Untitled
Format: Macintosh 1k

If I select cancel, I get a beep and all the menus etc go grey and I can't do anything. I have to force reboot from the Mac OSX installation.

If I select Initialize, I get the warning about erasing will remove everything on the disk. Then a beep and greyed menu items etc.

Clicking anywhere on the screen leads to a beep.

The only thing I can do is force quit from OSX. I think it has something to do with the configuration, but I don;t know what.

All help gratefully received.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: New installation keeps trying to initialize a disk

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems you can boot. Can you provide us with the content of your .basilisk_ii_prefs file?

Best,
cat_7
Coombsy
Space Cadet

Post by Coombsy »

".basilisk_ii_prefs" where's that located please? and how do I attach an image to my reply so that you can see what I see when I run Disk First Aid?

regards,

Coombsy
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The .basilisk_ii_prefs file is a hidden file in your Home folder.

Open Terminal application (in /Applications/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here.

If you want to show an image, you need to upload it to some place on the internet (do you have your own web space with your internet provider?) and use its URL (http address) in the BBCode for images (see buttons above the post composition page) to make the image visible in your post.