Command line BasiliskII "VM" manager for OS X/UNIX

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

morgant
Space Cadet

Command line BasiliskII "VM" manager for OS X/UNIX

Post by morgant »

I'd like to introduce a new, open source command line utility for packaging, managing, and running BasiliskII "VMs": https://github.com/morgant/basiliskiivm.

While I haven't officially released the first version yet, it currently supports the following features:
  • Running a .BasiliskIIVM (BasiliskII prefs, ROM, disks, and keyboard file packaged into a single directory)
  • Creating multiple snapshots of disks
  • Some general info/management
There are additional features coming, but there's not much left to implement. It's written in Bash, so should be portable across multiple versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS, plus various Linux/BSD/UNIX OSes. The .BasiliskIIVM package format is intended to be easily transferable and portable across OSes.

I have to admit that I wasn't aware of Medusa when I tossed this together today, but I do like having scriptable command line utilities.
morgant
Space Cadet

Re: Command line BasiliskII "VM" manager for OS X/UNIX

Post by morgant »

I haven't added many of the planned features over the past year, mainly because it's fitting my needs for now. I'm happy to pick up work on it if others are interested.

In the meantime, I added a minor version bump (0.1.1) yesterday w/the addition of automatic searching of /Applications & ~/Applications for the BasiliskII binary on OS X/macOS.
rickyzhang
Apple Corer

Post by rickyzhang »

That's a fancy bash script. TBH, I'd love to see a fancy UI as well. :eek:
There is an App for that!
https://github.com/rickyzhang82
morgant
Space Cadet

Post by morgant »

Thanks. I agree, I should probably reach out to the Medusa developer to see if we can standardize the container format and support it with both (command line & GUI).
morgant
Space Cadet

Post by morgant »

Another minor release (v0.1.2) adds better *nix OS support (tested under OpenBSD as well as macOS).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

morgant wrote:I'd like to introduce a new, open source command line utility for packaging, managing, and running BasiliskII "VMs": https://github.com/morgant/basiliskiivm.

While I haven't officially released the first version yet, it currently supports the following features:
  • Running a .BasiliskIIVM (BasiliskII prefs, ROM, disks, and keyboard file packaged into a single directory)
  • Creating multiple snapshots of disks
  • Some general info/management
There are additional features coming, but there's not much left to implement. It's written in Bash, so should be portable across multiple versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS, plus various Linux/BSD/UNIX OSes. The .BasiliskIIVM package format is intended to be easily transferable and portable across OSes.

I have to admit that I wasn't aware of Medusa when I tossed this together today, but I do like having scriptable command line utilities.
It's worth pointing out that Windows 10 supports Bash now too, although the script may not include all the checks required to make it run under Windows 10.
morgant
Space Cadet

Post by morgant »

adespoton wrote:It's worth pointing out that Windows 10 supports Bash now too, although the script may not include all the checks required to make it run under Windows 10.
That's something I'll have to look into. I don't have Windows 10 to test on, but I'll add an issue to the GitHub repo and can certainly assist with adapting it.