Trouble getting online with Basilisk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

negropeteiswhite69
Space Cadet

Trouble getting online with Basilisk

Post by negropeteiswhite69 »

Hello!

I have been using Basilisk II for my 68k emulation needs for the past several years with great success. However, most of my emulation has been conducted with macOS or Windows as the host OS. Recently, I have migrated one of my machines over to Arch Linux. I have been able to successfully compile Basilisk II for Arch and have System 7.5.3 functioning flawlessly. However, I seem to be having issues with "slurp" connections within the emulator. I have set up my Basilisk emulator for slurp using this guide. Within other host OSs, I have no trouble. However, within Arch, I am unable to connect to the internet whatsoever. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any other information is required, please request it and I will be willing to comply.

Also, I apologize for my poor English as I primarily speak German.

Thank you.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Trouble getting online with Basilisk

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

[quote="negropeteiswhite69"]I have set up my Basilisk emulator for slurp using this guide.

If you indeed entered "slurp", that is the problem. It is "slirp", not "slurp".
negropeteiswhite69
Space Cadet

My mistake. I had "slirp" in my configuration. I just happened to have misspelled it within my post. For some more detail, I have iCab running within Basilisk. AppleTalk is active. TCP/IP has been configured as the guide states. However, I still cannot connect to anything via network. iCab times out after about a minute with "Server 'www.google.com' is currently inaccessible"
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Best try a HHTP (not HTTPS) site to confirm your setup is working.
http://macintoshgarden.org/tracker did usually for me with iCab / Basilisk II.
(Not counting the Android build by Lumbomyr Lisen.)
Keep in mind that all browsers from the 68k days are outdated by decades.
At its best websites look and feel will be strange.
Any "safe" HTTPS site will of course deny service, so you will only have a handful of choices.
Hotline or FTP may work somewhat better.

Please see here for a related issue: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9951
negropeteiswhite69
Space Cadet

I have attempted to connect to a BBS and an IRC server with no success. I have even tried to go to a HTTP site like you suggested such as Mac Garden and still cannot connect. Perhaps it is an issue with Basilisk and Arch?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

In 7.5.3, do you have classic networking enabled (with control panel MacTCP) or Open Transport (with control panel TCP/IP)?