i need help playing Prince of Persia 2 on mini vmac II

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

umart
Space Cadet

i need help playing Prince of Persia 2 on mini vmac II

Post by umart »

hi all,longtime lurker here and not a native english speaker and mac and mac emu noob,so i hope you'll have patience for me. :)

mainly i want to play Prince of Persia 2 mac version on my windows 10 machine and i've tried basilisk II and it runs poorly (commands not responding,stutter,and other issues) and i couldn't even set it up on mini vmac II.

to cut long story short,i did manage to get 7.5.3 with color up,but i can't manage to import game in it.if i use importfl whole thing just hangs and crashes,and if i import .sit with hsvexplorer in macos disk image with stuffit stuffit app either doesn't do anything,or decompress only data folder with one file in it.

again,sorry for my bad english and thanks for any help in advance!
umart
Space Cadet

Re: i need help playing Prince of Persia 2 on mini vmac II

Post by umart »

sorry for doublepost,edit has expired.

anyway,i did manage to get PoP2 to work in miniVmacII by manually extracting the whole folder from some precompiled hdd image and transfering it to my dsk image with hsfexplorer.

but,i still can't get any resolution/size other than stock one.if i go to fullscreen ingame it just centers the picture in vmacII window,and if i go to fullscreen in vmacII it also just centers the picture of the game stil retaining the original resolution and aspect ratio.my panel is 1080p and any size bigger than stock one would be very nice.

again,thanks for any help in advance and sorry for my bad english!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I´m afraid PoPs (640x480)? screen is hard coded with the game.
At least it looks like that on my side, no matter which screen size I try with MiniVMac II.
MiniVmac´s Ctrl-F command does nothing on my side either, except turning my screen black. :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Yes, the game itself has a fixed small size in pixels. If you use a small resolution for mini vMac, such that it is smaller than half the size of your actual screen, using Control-M or Control-F in Mini vMac will double the size in inches by using four pixels on your screen to display one pixel in Mini vMac. That way everything in Mini vMac will appear larger.
umart
Space Cadet

Post by umart »

ctrl+M did magnify the screen somewhat,but it isn't centered and i think a couple of horizontal lines of the game (about 5-10 pixels wide from vertical resolution) gets cut off/goes out of the screen.

also,ctrl key triggers some mini vmac II menu and interupts the game,as crtl or command is the action in the PoP2 mac version,so basically game is unplayable.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Control key is the meta key for controlling MvMII; this is due to old macs not having a control key. PoPII should be using the command key as the action key.

MvMII freezes all emulation when in the meta menu, so using this shouldn't be an issue. There's also the ability to custom-build MvMII to use a different key (say, Fn-control) as your meta key. But any game that requires a control key is new enough to run under Basilisk II.

If you want something different though, you can try using a different emulator: PCE/macplus should work if you don't mind B&W, and FusionPC or SoftMac XP should work if you want color. I also think that unlike PoP, PoPII will run under Basilisk II.
umart
Space Cadet

Post by umart »

as i said,PoP2 is really bad in basiliskII - stutter,missed keys,all sort of other issues,it is really unplayable,even more so than in mini vmacII.

if i read instructions and manuals correctly ctrl IS command key,so that 'meta' key in emulator overlaps with essential key for playing the game,thus renders playing it under mini vmac II useless.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

As adespoton already pointed out, Fusion_PC may be an option.
I seem to recall PoP was working not bad from former discussions.
One problem today may be hard to find hardware to set up Fusion_PC.
My old Pentium III rig with Windows 98SE was best for Fusion_PC.
FreeDOS may be an option too.

Right now, I only have a VirtualBox instance to run Fusion_PC.
I might add PoP to one of the Fusion drives, if you should want to go that way.
The VirtualBox instance is here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/fusion-pc 6th download.
The downside is that I never got sound working properly in VirtualBox/DOS.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know if this is of any help, but PoP2 runs fine here in my latest build of BasiliskII (SDL2, 64-bit) on macOS 10.13.6.
umart
Space Cadet

Post by umart »

i don't have any kind of mac anymore,just windows 10 machines,i had to get rid of all of my collection because of space constraints.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Fusion PC inside Dosbox is probably your best bet on Win10; as for the control/command thing:

https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/hard ... l#keyboard
In the Windows or X versions, the ‘alt’ key is used for the emulated command key, and the ‘windows’ key (or the ‘application’ key) is used for the emulated option key.