Login  •  Register

The time is now: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:04 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:12 pm 
Space Cadet

Hey,

I have been working with my friend on a ROM-less Classic Mac emulator. At the moment the project consists of System 6 software implementation, Motorola 68000 emulator and Disassembler, Debugger and Profiler tools. The plan is to implement System 7 + Color QuickDraw, 68040 instruction set, more hardware emulation, etc. in future.

At the moment this project is still in early/mid development state. The emulator is able to run various black&white Mac games and programs such as Dark Castle, MacPaint and Arkanoid. Read more details about the development process at https://mace.software (yes, apparently another project with this name :) ).

There is a prototype application running Stunt Copter programmed by Duane Blehm. For now the system requirements are OS X 10.7+. We are also working on support for different platforms and older Mac OS versions.

We will release more games and applications when getting legal details and software/hardware support completed.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Fantastic, thanks for sharing that.

I'm on Windows, but I hope someone here will try out the prototype you have made available.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm 
Forum All-Star

Should have gone with MINE as the project name (MINE Is Not an Emulator) since it's essentially doing WINE for the System 6 toolbox. Of course, being for Mac software, there's emulation that's needed as well as the toolbox handling layer, but hey....

I remember MACE from the first time it started up; today's environment seems a lot better to be attempting this; I wish you guys luck, and if you need any help with testing/debugging/finding old documentation, let us know :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:35 am 
Site Admin

I trust, Pukka, that you also realize that Executor is open source?

Perhaps it could be of use:

https://github.com/ctm/executor
https://github.com/ctm/syn68k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:08 pm 
Space Cadet

Thanks, yes I know Executor on Windows, however i'm not familiar with its current state. At least in earlier it was known to have accuracy and compatibility problems.

This project exists because we wanted to create something which would be the proper Mac emulator (or Not an Emulator :) ) in our opinion as a team. Additionally there are lot of aspects such as hardware emulation, OS programming, optimization etc. which keep the project motivating.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 pm 
Forum All-Star

The current state of Executor is... languishing. But it's been open sourced, and ported to OS X 10.6, compileable under Xcode: 3.2.3. And Cliff's still around, if you wanted to ask him questions too :)

Syn68k is his implementation of the 68LC040, which I believe could be useful as most of the other emulator cores are for 68000, 60020 or 68040. However, it's 32-bit, so some work would be needed to compile it in 64-bit. But as a reference architecture, it may be of use to you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:23 am 
Master Emulator

As Shapeshifter begat Sheepshaver, I've sometimes mused that a further play on "Executor" might be appropriate. Eggsycutar, maybe.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 am 
Student Driver

My idea for a name for Executor (on the Mac, at least) would have been NeoClassic.

That said, Autc04's fork is developing at quite a pace. He's also working on PowerPC emulation and support.

That said, his syn68k fork also compiles for 64-bit architectures.