Mini vMac Can't Find Rom File on Mac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Drybonz
Space Cadet

Mini vMac Can't Find Rom File on Mac

Post by Drybonz »

Using the same rom and system files that I always have success with on Windows, when I try to launch Mini vMac on my Macbook it always gives me the message that it cannot find the rom file, even though the rom file is named the same, and is the same file, that works for me on Windows. The rom is in the same folder as mini vMac on the Macbook. Are there additional steps I need to take when I'm using it on the Macbook?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Mini vMac Can't Find Rom File on Mac

Post by ClockWise »

Did you read this?

https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/start.html

Is it named "vMac.ROM"?

Can you just drag it onto the emulator?
Drybonz
Space Cadet

Post by Drybonz »

Thanks for the reply... yes, I did read that... as I said my Windows setup has been working for years... the rom is named correctly, but on the Macbook it will not autostart, even though it's the same files in the same directory as the mac os mini-vmac.

It will run properly if I open the image once the emulator starts. However, I have to manually load the rom, system, disks, each time I start mini vmac, which is what I'm trying to avoid. Hoping someone can help me get them to auto-load like they always have on my Windows version.

Thanks again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If the rom file is named vMac.ROM and in the same folder as the Mini vMac application, Mini vMac should find it. Apparently it does, otherwise you would not be able to "open the image once the emulator starts".

Mini vMac will not automatically find a (boot) image unless it is named disk1.dsk or disk2.dsk, etc., and in the same folder as Mini vMac itself.
Drybonz
Space Cadet

Post by Drybonz »

Hi Ronald... thanks for the reply. I saw your comment in another thread regarding naming to disk1.dsk, etc... and had been using it successfully on my Windows setup. I'm not sure why it gets hung up on the rom once I move over to the Mac. I had even tried the other suggestion in that thread, moving the files to the folder inside the .app, but that got the same results.
Last edited by Drybonz on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Drybonz wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:56 am I had even tried the other suggestion in that thread, moving the files to the folder inside the .app, but that got the same results.
I do not know what you did exactly, but never make changes inside an application package unless you know what you are doing!

If the rom file is in the same folder as Mini vMac itself and if it is a compatible rom file named vMac.ROM, Mini vMac should find it. If it does not, either the rom file is not compatible or the file is not named correctly. You can check the full name of the rom file in Finder Info for the file: Select the file's icon and hit command-I
Drybonz
Space Cadet

Post by Drybonz »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:20 pmI do not know what you did exactly, but never make changes inside an application package unless you know what you are doing!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10181

Post 3, but it doesn't matter because it produced the same results.
Last edited by Drybonz on Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drybonz
Space Cadet

Post by Drybonz »

Here's a screenshot of my mini vmac directory. Please let me know if you see the source of my problems.

Again, this rom file does work if I launch the app and then File>Open Disk Image and point to that same file it works fine... rom is compatible. In fact, again, it's the same one I have used for years on Windows. My goal is to get it to auto-launch with mini vmac like it does on Windows. Thanks again for the help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I honestly do not know why it does not work for you. Everything seems OK in that folder. Here, on my Mac, it works fine, the rom file and disk1 are found and used when I start the app. And when there is no suitable disk, Mini vMac will still find the rom file, it will open with the grey screen and floppy icon with blinking question mark.

Maybe try another rom file? If you search the web for 'vmac.rom' you will find one.
Drybonz
Space Cadet

Post by Drybonz »

Tried another rom file... same result. Tested opening rom through menus to make sure it was valid and it was.

Also tried switching to the official stable version of mini vmac, as I was using a variation with full screen and magnify on launch... same results.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hopefully our member gryphel will notice this thread. He is the Mini vMac developer.
Drybonz
Space Cadet

Post by Drybonz »

An update... the mnvm_dat trick from the post I linked to, above, actually does work. The folder has to be inside the contents folder. I think I must have either not done this or typo'd the folder, possibly. I contacted gryphel on the mini vmac site and he directed me to some explanation for why these problems happen on a modern Mac and confirmed that the mvnm_dat trick would work. Thanks for that. Issue is resolved. Thanks.