Can't launch Mini vMac on Catalina

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

GeorgeJ
Space Cadet

Can't launch Mini vMac on Catalina

Post by GeorgeJ »

When I try to launch Mini vMac on my new iMac running Catalina (10.15.7), I get an error message ("The application 'Mini vMac' can’t be opened.") If I right-click or control-click on Mini vMac and select "Open" (such as to enable launching an application that is not registered with Apple), I get the same error message.

However, I can successfully launch Mini vMac on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6).

'Any ideas?

Thanks,
George

P.S. My ultimate goal is to get a copy of SonyTest 7.0 onto my Macintosh SE to help me diagnose a floppy drive problem. I think the floppy drive heads need alignment, but the drive might have another problem. (It is not as simple as the eject motor needing cleaning, lubrication or a replacement gear. All that has been done.) I do not have an alignment floppy, but I do have fairly serious electronic diagnostic equipment (o'scope, etc.) Any hints on diagnosing problems with 800K floppy drives, schematics, etc. would be welcome, too.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can't launch Mini vMac on Catalina

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Mini vMac runs fine here on Catalina.
Could it be that you you have an old 32-bit only version of Mini vMac? Try a newer Mini vMac build.