Stuoud Aladdin Tricks

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

WizKid
Tinkerer

Stuoud Aladdin Tricks

Post by WizKid »

I can't seem to install Stuffit Deluxe 5.5 installed on Mini vMac running 7.1.1. It just beeps and quits.

Also, ShrinkWrap requires a serial number. Whenever I try to enter a valid serial number for ShrinkWrap 3.0 (or even just garbage) it says "Validation of the unlock code failed."

Is there a way to strip the trialware crap from the binary?

Seeing as how it says it was created with InstallerMaker, I presume it just chainloads the main code.

And you thought only Microsoft had mac product keys at the time...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Stuoud Aladdin Tricks

Post by adespoton »

WizKid wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:07 pm I can't seem to install Stuffit Deluxe 5.5 installed on Mini vMac running 7.1.1. It just beeps and quits.

Also, ShrinkWrap requires a serial number. Whenever I try to enter a valid serial number for ShrinkWrap 3.0 (or even just garbage) it says "Validation of the unlock code failed."

Seeing as how it says it was created with InstallerMaker, I presume it just chainloads the main code.

Try upgrading Mini vMac to 7.5.5 and your Stuffit Deluxe issues should go away. Try rolling ShrinkWrap back to 2.4 and your ShrinkWrap should be able to be registered. THEN try upgrading to 3.0 and enter the valid serial number if needed.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

adespoton wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:30 pm
WizKid wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:07 pm I can't seem to install Stuffit Deluxe 5.5 installed on Mini vMac running 7.1.1. It just beeps and quits.

Try upgrading Mini vMac to 7.5.5 and your Stuffit Deluxe issues should go away. Try rolling ShrinkWrap back to 2.4 and your ShrinkWrap should be able to be registered. THEN try upgrading to 3.0 and enter the valid serial number if needed.
So I upgraded to 7.5.5 and got the Stuffit Deluxe 5.5 installer to run.

Unfortunately, it won't accept the serial number, claiming it doesn't match any known numbers for the product.

I've tried:

DLXF-0805-002653
DLXF-0859-006229
DLXF-0847-006227
DLXF-0853-006228

All with same result.

I've even tried setting the emulated Mac's clock back to 1/9/1999, which makes the TrialWare portion of ShrinkWrap work.

I have a feeling the two errors regarding the serials are related...

An unexplained semi-Y2K time-bomb?

I've tried in Basilisk II, with the same result.

Stuffit Deluxe 4.0 does not exhibit this problem, and it does not ask for a serial number during installation nor is it riddled with a non-Y2K "TrialWare" bomb.

I've tried installing ShrinkWrap 2.1 and then 3.5.1, but it still doesn't work. :(
Last edited by WizKid on Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

What do you need Stuffit Deluxe for? If you only need to expand Stuffit archives, the free Stuffit Expander will do. Stuffit Expander 5.5 can be found on the Macintosh Garden site.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:47 pm What do you need Stuffit Deluxe for? If you only need to expand Stuffit archives, the free Stuffit Expander will do. Stuffit Expander 5.5 can be found on the Macintosh Garden site.
Good point. Still doesn't explain why whatever I try, ShrinkWrap 3.5 refuses to registration code.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

WizKid wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:47 pm What do you need Stuffit Deluxe for? If you only need to expand Stuffit archives, the free Stuffit Expander will do. Stuffit Expander 5.5 can be found on the Macintosh Garden site.
Good point. Still doesn't explain why whatever I try, ShrinkWrap 3.5 refuses to registration code.
Have you tried the ShrinkWrap 3.5.1 download from the Macintosh Garden? It comes with a serial number. Publishing date was 2000, so it all else fails, set the date to sometime in 2001 before trying -- but being published in 2000, it won't have a Y2K bug like 3.5 might.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

adespoton wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 pm
WizKid wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Have you tried the ShrinkWrap 3.5.1 download from the Macintosh Garden? It comes with a serial number. Publishing date was 2000, so it all else fails, set the date to sometime in 2001 before trying -- but being published in 2000, it won't have a Y2K bug like 3.5 might.
The 3.5.1 download from MG works great.