Has anyone gotten QEMU to boot the Quadra 800 ROM?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

daemon32
Space Cadet

Has anyone gotten QEMU to boot the Quadra 800 ROM?

Post by daemon32 »

The QEMU board is locked, and I can't send private messages until some unknown condition is met, so I'm posting this here.

I've tried compiling QEMU straight from the git repo and from Laurent Vivier's upstream m68k-virt branch, and I'm getting a blank screen when I follow the guide on the wiki.

I was able to boot the debian 9 ISO, so the build seems to work at least partially.

Is there more work that needs to be done to boot the Quadra ROM?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Has anyone gotten QEMU to boot the Quadra 800 ROM?

Post by Cat_7 »

A qemu quadra 800 build capable of installing Mac OS is not available yet.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Has anyone gotten QEMU to boot the Quadra 800 ROM?

Post by adespoton »

daemon32 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 am The QEMU board is locked, and I can't send private messages until some unknown condition is met, so I'm posting this here.

I've tried compiling QEMU straight from the git repo and from Laurent Vivier's upstream m68k-virt branch, and I'm getting a blank screen when I follow the guide on the wiki.

I was able to boot the debian 9 ISO, so the build seems to work at least partially.

Is there more work that needs to be done to boot the Quadra ROM?
Yes, there's more work that needs to be done. If you check the git repo, you'll note that the comments about the patches are still about getting through stages of the boot process for Mac OS. It's getting close, but it's not there yet. The fixes for 68K NetBSD are promising though!