CherryOS

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

OK...I'm beggining to think that CherryOS is coming out...if this article (http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/ ... _id=479527) is real, than CherryOS might be real, although it is obviously based on the source-code of PearPC. The white bar on top of the window is always a tell-tale sign of PearPC, not to mention the command window on the bottom of the screen.
But look at this image:
CherryOS does seem to have a sort of GUI, but it looks like someone just stuck a PearPC window in there, especially because of the command box that's minimized and the different window for mac.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Kryeziu said on a 3.2-GHz Pentium 4 desktop with 1 GB of RAM, the software is as snappy as native Apple hardware.

"On a fast system, it's just as fast as running on a Mac," he said.
What kind of mac.....a 7200 hacked with XPostfacto :wink:
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Okay Okay Okay......Now the site is down
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

prasys wrote:Okay Okay Okay......Now the site is down
Well maybe they're finally fixing the online shop so we can finally find out if they're for real...or not. :wink:
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

IT'S NOT REAL. THERE ARE MANY PIECES OF EVIDENCE THAT IT'S FAKE AND NOTHING THAT IT'S REAL. THE BEST YOU'LL GET IS THAT YOU'LL PAY $50 FOR A DECENT PEARPC GUI.
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

willhart wrote:IT'S NOT REAL. THERE ARE MANY PIECES OF EVIDENCE THAT IT'S FAKE AND NOTHING THAT IT'S REAL. THE BEST YOU'LL GET IS THAT YOU'LL PAY $50 FOR A DECENT PEARPC GUI.
That's what I suspect too.
But,we'll see. Be patient.
Maybe the sheer fuzz about it
seduces others to create great OS X emulators!!!
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Two things. If you still have a little feeling in you that Cherry OS is real read this (http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/arben.htm). It will make you lose all your respect for Arben and Cherry OS.

And second of all, what does the slogan "You have a choice!" mean? Either it could mean that you have a choice between PearPC and CherryOS, which are the same. Or it could mean you have a choice between Windows and Mac....yea we all do....we can either buy a mac or a pc....and skip the wasting $50 alltogether...
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

I'd like to say that the PearPC community has won against the illegal project Cherry OS, as the website has officially closed down. Hopefully one day MXS will close, and just as Arben said "If CherryOS turns out to be a fraud, our days in the software industry are over." And Arben will rot in hell for taking an open-source project licensed by the GPL and trying to sell it himself and call it his own. Let's hope this is the last we ever hear about Cherry OS.
jchowland
Student Driver

Idea about CherryOS

Post by jchowland »

The CherryOS website (which is down again) says that os9 emu is possible - if this is really possible when/if the product is released, then it would prove that it is not just a vapourware clone of PearPC.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Re: Idea about CherryOS

Post by Stephen Coates »

jchowland wrote:The CherryOS website (which is down again) says that os9 emu is possible - if this is really possible when/if the product is released, then it would prove that it is not just a vapourware clone of PearPC.
CheeryOS might just be an improved PearPC.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

I told you ALL! Cherry OS is PearPC in a wrapper! And look, there it is on the front page of emaculation, now everyone can see that I was right all a long! Arben K. will become a bartender and then rot in hell! Infringe this you bastard! *throws a sharp object at Arben* HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! bastard.
Meklort
Student Driver

Post by Meklort »

Hmmm... YOu know all those discusions we have about piracy?
Well this is piracy on a larg scale, stealing code, and selling it. What should we do to him? Death by maggots? :twisted:
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

i like it. rats are better though. like in a cage over his face like they did in the book 1984. but i don't think he deserves that bad. but ken lay deserves it. :twisted:
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

OK, OK, I know how much everyone wants this thread to die. But I did some further investigating on Arben, and I found this website registered to him through his web company. The site adress is http://www.mbloom.com.
mbloom.com - (c) 2004
we are launching the new store front!! ( 11/01/04 )
be there!
Will this be another software fraud? Will it be some other stupid piece of software that Arben makes? Only time shall tell.
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Posted today on NeoWin

CherryOS November 25, 2004
Posted by Deren Smith on 23 Oct 2004 - 01:13 CET | 16 Comments

On Tuesday, October 12, MXS - a software development company that specializes in video streaming, custom applications and web development - announced the immediate availability of CherryOS software. The announcement signaled a breakthrough in emulation development by providing a software emulator which allows Windows PC users to run Apple's OS on x86 computer architecture, while preserving network capabilities and access to the host computer's hardware resources.

As a direct result of the overwhelming response to our October 12 announcement, and in order to provide current and future customers with the timely service and attention such high-volume demand requires, MXS has chosen to extend the beta development for CherryOS. In order to accommodate those who were inconvenienced by the interruption of immediate access to the CherryOS download, and to further validate this breakthrough product, MXS will provide a free trial download of the CherryOS software, in addition to the purchase download on November 25, 2004.

News source: CherryOS Homepage
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

And this article was posted on OSNews.com yesterday.

CherryOS Sparks Talk of Virtualization Wars
Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru on 2004-10-21 18:11:47 UTC

Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit launched Virtual PC for Mac Version 7. Then, a Hawaiian company specializing in streaming video introduced CherryOS, a virtual PC that mimics the hardware of a G4 Mac. CherryOS inventor Arben Kryeziu, a software developer who got tired of carrying both a Mac and a PC all over Hawai, is confident the computing world will find value in his innovation. However, questions remain if his CherryOS is simply a modified PearPC. Update: An interesting conspiracy theory has been posted here.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

It look like CherryOS will come out after all...
I will be very surprised if CherryOS is not based on PearPC. And if it is, then Sebastian should sue Arben.
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

PPC_Digger wrote:It look like CherryOS will come out after all...
I will be very surprised if CherryOS is not based on PearPC. And if it is, then Sebastian should sue Arben.
With what?

His own money, Pay Pal donations? It would get very expensive and bring excessive heat on pearpc. Pearppc isn't and never will be a viable alternative to a mac but it might just about get youu by if you only need to do a couple of mac tasks I think Apple will see that and take thsi no further.

80% of performance is just too much no dynrec is going to do that. Maybe softpear might offer somewhere near that if it ever becomes good enough .

Something no one's mentioned but maybe this is qemu and they've solved the issues stopping OSX booting (But not realesed the source obviously)
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

desertboy wrote:Something no one's mentioned but maybe this is qemu and they've solved the issues stopping OSX booting (But not realesed the source obviously)
Or may be it is SheepShaver? but hey, I don't think the official qemu development group (that's what you mean, right?) would not release the source if they solved the problem. And if they did, wouldn't it be the same? (qemu is GPL'd, isn't it?)
Digital_Utopia
Space Cadet

Post by Digital_Utopia »

Don't really have anything to contribute except for this little 5 minute hack job in photoshop, (see av) but I think it's worth a couple of laughs anyhow...

edit: Well apparently it doesn't like my image...so let's try it this way...

Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

About 10 days till CherryOS is released. That image will probably be true if it doesn't get released when Arben said it would.
BTW, welcome to Emaculation Digital Utopia. :D
Digital_Utopia
Space Cadet

Post by Digital_Utopia »

Thanks Stephen , It's good to be here :)

True, There really isn't a way to tell if it's truly BS or not until it is available (whenever that may be...lol) But I'm personally going with this view until I'm proved wrong.and that's just not proving to me that it exists. because IMO the strong possibility of Arden violating the GPL of PearPC, and the fact that he convieniently changes his story seems to be just as much BS as if cherryOS didn't exist in the first place.

but like I said...that's just my opiniion lol
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

MY 2 cents.

Post by Neospy »

This is crap. If it is real, we need PROOF!

>Neospy 8)
>100 Posties!!!!

>Nice work with the Cherry BS Digital_Utopia!
turloch
Space Cadet

Post by turloch »

So there's an update on Cherry OS site and tells now it will be available on: Q1 2005 from its original November 25, 2004 target date...

tsk... tsk... delays, delays, and more delays.....