CherryOS

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mzimu
Space Cadet

CherryOS

Post by mzimu »

http://www.cherryos.com (slashdotted at the moment)
What is this? Has anyone tried it?
mzimu
Space Cadet

Post by mzimu »

I've just downloaded the manual: http://www.vx30.com/documents/CherryOS.pdf and it smells for me like someone is trying to sell PearPC comercially...[/url]
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

I've seen this as well, read the manual. I also saw a few posts on it in another forum where one guy apparently had a beta running for his company or something. He claimed about 1ghz G4 speeds with an Athlon 64 3400, which to me suggests slighly faster than PearPC. Another forum suggested it might be a code fork of PearPC with better MMU support. The site is slashdotted now, but if it's back up by the time I get home from work, I'll drop the $50 and test the sucker out.
mcendra
Space Cadet

Post by mcendra »

[quote="ShadowFox"]He claimed about 1ghz G4 speeds with an Athlon 64 3400, which to me suggests slighly faster than PearPC.[/quote]

I ve tested PearPC (JIT/P4) on a Intel P4 3.2Ghz and the (well don't blame)
"About MacOS" panel tell me values from 1.15Ghz to 1.35Ghz (i know i can't trust the cpu monitor, but well how did CherryOS do that ? :) the system was *usable* (well menu/etc).

it's strange that no powerpc emulator came out in the last +4 years and now two software in last 6 months.

site still /.d, i will look at it, even try it... until i realize that what i really want is a real Macintosh :)
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Cherry OS is completely based on the PearPC code. In the demo video for Cherry OS, there a window that when Cherry is starting, flashes some red and yellow text. After trying to hit pause on it a few times, I found out that the text is the same that comes up when booting PearPC:
2 bootable partition(s) found:
1. partition 9 of 'cdrom0' (disk image/Apple_HFS)
2. partition 2 of 'cdrom0' (Apple_HFS_Untiled_2/Apple_HFS)

Booting 1: 'cdrom0:9'...
direct: trying to load '[->0x40dc00,0xc1000] of ide1'
now stating client...
So...we wondered what PearPC would be like if it was a paid development project, and this is pretty much that, unless it's vapor-ware.
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

willhart wrote:Cherry OS is completely based on the PearPC code. In the demo video for Cherry OS, there a window that when Cherry is starting, flashes some red and yellow text. After trying to hit pause on it a few times, I found out that the text is the same that comes up when booting PearPC:
2 bootable partition(s) found:
1. partition 9 of 'cdrom0' (disk image/Apple_HFS)
2. partition 2 of 'cdrom0' (Apple_HFS_Untiled_2/Apple_HFS)

Booting 1: 'cdrom0:9'...
direct: trying to load '[->0x40dc00,0xc1000] of ide1'
now stating client...
So...we wondered what PearPC would be like if it was a paid development project, and this is pretty much that, unless it's vapor-ware.
That's fairly generic text... I've gotten qemu to boot up with text like that under ppc emulation. I'm not holding my breath about this, but it might be pretty cool to check out. I saw in the manual one of the screenshots showed something about "Mac Classic," so it might be possible this can boot previous versions of MacOS as well- something PearPC can't do. I'll still wait until it's non-slashdotted, and grab a copy. Maybe this is the first product to be based on QuickTransit?

Who knows, we'll just have to wait to find out. It would corroborate the 80% claim from CherryOS, as QuickTransit claims 80% performance of the host proc as well...
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Oh gosh......Whats wrong...here a new emulator I see

The topic is getting "hot" on other forums such as PearPC...and people are trying to flame...I need some screenshot or at least some demo application to try out
ali
Student Driver

Post by ali »

everyone take a look at this:
http://www.cherryos.com/faq.html
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

I was just looking at that FAQ-
CherryPC FAQ wrote:Can I install OS 9?

Yes you can install OS 9, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3
mzimu
Space Cadet

Post by mzimu »

(Just wondering) Perhaps this is somehow improved PearPC. Well, I think we will see when they will release the trial version.
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

I don't believe it.
And I first have to see it.
At least Cherry Os (be it fake or not) accomplished
one hot forum thread both here on emaculation, pearpc.net and Aquasoft.

Guess we'll have to wait, won't we?
But wouldn't it be great if one day (hopefully way before the Pentium10's or AMD Athlon 64 6000+'s see the light of day), we'd be able to run OS X on x86...
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Hmmm. Seems very much like a PearPC clone.
Phantomstranger
Space Cadet

Post by Phantomstranger »

the store appears to be up now at the website. thought someone might want to try buying it.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Cherry OS features are bull!
What can CherryOS do?

* Drag & drop files from PC to Mac
* Create multiple profiles
* Full Sound & Networking support
* Skin enabled GUI
In all the screenshots, the sound is on mute, just like PearPC is without sound. The features that I find hardest to beleive are Full Sound, Drag & Drop, Firewire, and USB. VirtaulPC has hardly acheived that level of emulation, and it's an expensive, full development project.
ya3
Inquisitive Elf

Post by ya3 »

Please be patient with the Apple OS installation; depending on your system it may take up to 1 or 3 hours to finish installation.
eh... 'bout the same as PearPC...
"It's like running OS X on my G3 laptop," Kryeziu explained. "There's some pauses, but it's not too bad."

Kryeziu said on a 3.2-GHz Pentium 4 desktop with 1 GB of RAM, the software is as snappy as native Apple hardware.

"On a fast system, it's just as fast as running on a Mac," he said.
now that's better!
Kryeziu said CherryOS runs to 36,000 lines of code and was inspired by open-source Mac emulator PearPC, but is not in any way based on it.
hmm...
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

Well I looked in the store bit and they are taking preorders, no CC details just name, address style thing. I sigfned up with some details (not mine but in some students name iwho I still get mail for) I think this is definite nullshit.

VMware doesn't give a consistent 80% of performance and neither does virtualpc (Windows) so I cannot see an complete emulated system being able to outperform either of these programs.

I suspect they'll never release a product.
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

Let us just wait and see what happens.

If it does go into sale, let's check it out and see if
it lives up to it's promisses. If it does, we should verify that it really isn't hacked PearPC coding. If it is, let us claim & implement improvements into PearPC and benifit from it.
If not, see how Cherry has overcome the troubles faced with the current PearPC builts (in terms of speed improvement, hardware-detection, e.a.).
And learn from it. [/b]
peterrules4eva
Space Cadet

Post by peterrules4eva »

its a fake!
Look at the scroll bars!!!

near the left of the supposed emulated display is a window frame. and above that a few pixels of white. I'm assuming all they've built is a way of displaying a couple of windows near the top and to the left of a PearPC window, if that.

I'm more inclinded to assume the screenshots are fake.
amost every screenshot the scroll bars are in the same place:
http://www.cherryos.com/images/screenshots/4.jpg
http://www.cherryos.com/images/screenshots/5.jpg
http://www.cherryos.com/images/screenshots/7.jpg

my assumption is that its just a front end for pearpc.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

I found another thing: the horizontal scroll bar is all the way to the right, but you can still see the apple menu.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

That screenshot definatly looks fake.
felaras
Space Cadet

Post by felaras »

How about this scenario:
The company decided to promote their video player, so they attracted people with the help of a fake PowerPC emulator, which doesn't even exist. The campaign is free and sooo powerfull, it has blown away their website (with a little help of /. and others). There will be nothing to accuse them of officialy, because it's not a crime, but their video player won't be left without a notice.

It's just a wild thought, I'm probably wrong.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

felaras wrote:How about this scenario:
The company decided to promote their video player, so they attracted people with the help of a fake PowerPC emulator, which doesn't even exist. The campaign is free and sooo powerfull, it has blown away their website (with a little help of /. and others). There will be nothing to accuse them of officialy, because it's not a crime, but their video player won't be left without a notice.

It's just a wild thought, I'm probably wrong.
You could be right there. :? , but using a fake PPC emulator to promote a video player is a bit of a daft idea, but the PPC emulator has certainly had a lot of attention.
juno
Space Cadet

Post by juno »

Those screenshots are pretty damn consistent, to the pixel where the error is every time. Maybe it is BAD GUI CODING? I don't know if this is a pearpc front end or not but if it is and they are trying to sell it....well, that is pretty damn lame.
If it isnt, and if sound works, I will be very happy!
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

They don't even know how to use a search engine. PearPC was *not* the first MacOS emulator with G4/AltiVec support.
peterrules4eva
Space Cadet

Post by peterrules4eva »

another thing i just noticed of the screenshot is the command prompt and standard win32 icon on the task bar - just like pearpc.