vMac Sound (or lack of sound?)

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

vMac Sound (or lack of sound?)

Post by sshrugg »

Hey. All I can get out of vMac is that "BEEP!", yet it has a sound menu, and all that jazz. Is there something I need to do to make some noise, or is this just typical of vMac (WinXP version)?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I think that's all it does, but I can't remember. I'll have a look. vMacs not that hard to set up.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I get the startup beep. I also tried MacWrite and MacPaint, and they beeped when I tried to close the programme and it asked if I want to save the changes.

I don't have anything else to test it with.
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sshrugg »

Lawn Zapper! :twisted:

EDIT: Actually, it's probably worth mentioning that this game (and others like it) are the reasons I posted this question. Other emulators don't handle this really old stuff as well as vMac, which does a phenomenal job! I don't even have a mac old enough for this stuff :P Any suggestions?
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

More info

Post by sshrugg »

I still can't get sound going. Documentation on vMac is really hard to find, anymore. What I have noticed, however, is that over at The Macintosh Garden they give instructions for certain games under "notes". For quite a few of them, it says "For sound, use 68k Mac or vMac". (for example, on James Bond 007)

I saw this on a bunch of games, and I'm thinking if there's a sound menu in vMac, and the creator of this site keeps telling you to use vMac for sound, there must be a sound feature, right?
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sshrugg »

The answer is called Mini vMac.

I never knew the difference before. Mini vMac was intended to be a simpler version of vMac for the novice programmer to get introduced to the source code, but since vMac development has been on halt for so long, Mini vMac has actually become a better emulator in a lot of respects. Yes, it plays Lawn Zapper with the kooky music and the spaztic gophers. Sweet. :mrgreen:

This is probably common knowledge to most of you, but I figured I'd post the info here for people like me who find the thread. Thanks!
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I've never really been interested in Mini vMac and I didn't know it was better than vMac, but I did know that it had been updated recently.

Now when was the last time vMac got updated? Around 2000? That's a guess. I don't know for sure.