Input Data on Softmac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kendall14
Student Driver

Input Data on Softmac

Post by kendall14 »

I have softmac running on my comupter and I need to get some data into it. It can't get on the internet or any network. I have no floppy drive and I'am on windows. Does any one know how to get data (like mac files) into it without a floppy or getting on the internet with it. Currently it's only running Mac OS 7! 8O I would change it to 7.5.5 but it took twenty mintues and didn't even start as where 7 started instanly! So any help will be a great help to me.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Can't you just put all the files into an HFV file? I'm not sure if softmac supports these as it was a long time since I used it.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

The only correct answer to your question is to never use S**tMac (which does not support sound, printing or networking) and use Basilisk II JIT instead (which supports all those things).

Basilisk II has a feature called "My Computer" that will give you access to any drive via an icon on the Mac OS desktop. Basilisk II JIT is many times faster then S***tMac and it's stability SoftCrap cannot compare to.

I could go on and on about how much better Basilisk II is. Plus it's "free".
kendall14
Student Driver

Thanks I gess

Post by kendall14 »

Thanks I gess. I tried Softmac first because at first I heard about softwindows so I took a gess and seached softmac, then bagn it got me strated.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Yeah, BII is the best.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Sorry. I can help you in using SoftMac with all it's flaws, but there's no sense in risking damage to your computer or you trying to use SoftMac. There are a number of stories where SoftMac has corrupted Windows hard drives, even caused a hard drive to catch fire (according to Rob Snyder). And the guy who made SoftMac is a douche.

Hands down, Basilisk II (B2) is much better the SoftMac and I'm certain all the Mac Emu addicts here will back that statement up.

Fusion PC is also a pretty good free 68k Mac emulator, but it requires DOS\Win9x. It can effectively convert an old PC into a pretty decent Mac.

PS: Insignia's SoftWindows is cool though. 8)
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Mac Emu wrote:Sorry. I can help you in using SoftMac with all it's flaws, but there's no sense in risking damage to your computer or you trying to use SoftMac. There are a number of stories where SoftMac has corrupted Windows hard drives, even caused a hard drive to catch fire (according to Rob Snyder). And the guy who made SoftMac is a douche.
LMAO
kendall14
Student Driver

HELP

Post by kendall14 »

So far it's pretty sweet but I have a problem. :cry: In the program window it has a bunch of black lines (a pic is here http://h1.ripway.com/kendall14/mac.bmp).

Any ideas how to get rid of them.
SSS
Granny Smith

Re: HELP

Post by SSS »

kendall14 wrote:So far it's pretty sweet but I have a problem. :cry: In the program window it has a bunch of black lines (a pic is here http://h1.ripway.com/kendall14/mac.bmp).
Whoa! O_o 8O And how did you get the American flag icon in the menu bar?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

kendall14 wrote:So far it's pretty sweet but I have a problem. :cry: In the program window it has a bunch of black lines (a pic is here http://h1.ripway.com/kendall14/mac.bmp).
You will need to go into the Windows Display control panel and change the theme (B2 doesn't like the default XP theme).
kendall14
Student Driver

Post by kendall14 »

I think it was just the ROM (Mac LC III). I swicthed it to Mac LC II it now all that is wrong is it takes some time to start but that fine with me. :roll:
kendall14
Student Driver

Post by kendall14 »

By the way the flag was just there when I started it and it's for my keyboard (running Mac OS 7.5.5 in the pic). As for theme I never saw anything for theme.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

SSS wrote:Whoa! O_o 8O And how did you get the American flag icon in the menu bar?
The Macintosh Keyboard control panel can activate the language (flag) icon IIRC.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

kendall14 wrote:I think it was just the ROM (Mac LC III). I swicthed it to Mac LC II it now all that is wrong is it takes some time to start but that fine with me. :roll:
Super. I bought a number of 68k used Macs real cheap on eBay in my quest for the "perfect ROM". I settled on using my Quadra 610's.

As far as Themes, I remember when XP came out people were saying that XP Themes (just Luna?) had to be disabled to prevent the B2 screen from being screwy or locking up when switching between B2 and other Windows applications. I also heard that setting both B2 ports to FILE was required to prevent B2 from locking up. When I finally bought XP, I automatically switched off themes and always set the B2 ports to FILE, so I haven't experimented with those possible bugs.

Can anyone confirm those B2 Windows problems for mentioning on the Wiki?
kendall14
Student Driver

Post by kendall14 »

At first when I started to use it, When I shut it down it would close the app. Now if I shutwodown it just brings up the restart srceen and I have to close it by Xing it out. I would like that back to the way it was. Does anyone know how to change it?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Mac Emu wrote:The Macintosh Keyboard control panel can activate the language (flag) icon IIRC.
I've been looking in there, but I can't find where to activate that menu.

EDIT: In Mac OS 8, you can select multiple keyboard layouts in there, and that displays the menu, but in Mac OS 7.5, there seems to be no way to do that, so I don't have a clue as to how kendall got the menu displayed.
kendall14
Student Driver

Post by kendall14 »

I'am not sure ether because I downloaded 7.5.5 as a ready to go .dsk file.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

kendall14 wrote:I'am not sure ether because I downloaded 7.5.5 as a ready to go .dsk file.
Where did you download it from? I'll boot that .dsk up in Basilisk II and find out how do get the flag.
kendall14
Student Driver

Post by kendall14 »

SSS wrote:
kendall14 wrote:I'am not sure ether because I downloaded 7.5.5 as a ready to go .dsk file.
Where did you download it from? I'll boot that .dsk up in Basilisk II and find out how do get the flag.
I got it off a p2p network (Limewire). I would upload it to the internet for you but it's 15MB and I have a 50.6Kbps at best so that would take more time then I got.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

kendall14 wrote:
SSS wrote:
I got it off a p2p network (Limewire). I would upload it to the internet for you but it's 15MB and I have a 50.6Kbps at best so that would take more time then I got.
wohohoho you will get a slap on the hand if you talk about p2p here just wanted to let you know to be carefull about what you talk when you talk about p2p
kendall14
Student Driver

Post by kendall14 »

Sorry, didn't know. :?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Nothing wrong with talking about p2p. p2p isn't illegal and niether is sharing macos 7.5.

Just as long as you don't talk about sharing >MacOS 7.6 over p2p.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

Stephen Coates wrote:Nothing wrong with talking about p2p. p2p isn't illegal and niether is sharing macos 7.5.

Just as long as you don't talk about sharing >MacOS 7.6 over p2p.
yeah thats what i meant
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Stephen Coates wrote:Nothing wrong with talking about p2p. p2p isn't illegal and niether is sharing macos 7.5.
Eh um, actually, technically, sharing System 7.5.x pre-installed on a HDF goes against Apple's EULA of distribution. But then running any Mac OS on a non-Apple branded computer also goes against their overly restrictive EULA IIRC.
kendall14
Student Driver

Post by kendall14 »

kendall14 wrote:At first when I started to use it (BasiliskII), When I shut it down it would close the app. Now if I shutwodown it just brings up the restart srceen and I have to close it by Xing it out. I would like that back to the way it was. Does anyone know how to change it?
Deos anyone know what is with that? Can it be from me changing the rom? (doubt that though)