mini vMac help needed

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Ok.

Because what I'm planning on doing is transfering everything to another win xp computer -one that's a little more powerful and up to date as this one is a little old now.

I realize that I will have to reinstall the emulators.

but if I copy my Basilisk II, and Mini vMac directories with all their corresponding files on to cd rom, they will transfer to another hardrive as is?

Interesting how I needed Basilisk II to configure vMac!

p.s. As far a saving my .sits on the ibook, I'm probably going to save (burn) them compressed as I can store more on the cd rom that way.

Rhetro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know where everything is saved on a Windows PC, but the BasiliskII settings/preferences file ("BasiliskII_prefs"?) may be written to a different location. Unless that file is also copied to its location on the new PC and unless the paths to files like ROM and disk image files are identical to their paths on the previous PC, you will need to re-configure BasiliskII anyway.

The important files are the disk image files, they contain everything that is on your virtual Macs. Re-installing (and for BasiliskII re-configuring) the emulators will not take more than a few minutes when you use the existing image files.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Thanks.

So like you said, the software will have to be installed anyway.

It's the disk images that really count. Good. Those are the ones I will focus on then.

Another thing I was thinking was to set the disk images up with a games folder in the startup disk (desktop startup volume disk -for lack of a better word) with ALL the games expanded on them. That way when I save the image, I won't have to go back and reinstall all of that. I guess that's just a personal preference thing.

I feel that there has been so much tweeking over the past week, that I'm a little concerened about the integrity of the files. This is why I kind of want to start over, now that I have everything I need. Just to make sure that nothing is corrupted.

I read somewhere that it is a good idea to upgrade to 7.5.5 because it has some bug fixes.

I guess I should do that first, no?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The games do not necessarily have to be on the startup disk (image). You can have the games installed on a different disk (image) and launch them from that disk. In BasiliskII you can add additional disks to the list and in Mini vMac it is simple to mount additional disks while it is running.

A serious system crash may cause corruption of the file system on the startup volume but will often not affect the other volumes.

It may be a good idea to do a fresh system installation of system 7.5.3. System 7.5.3 is OK but updating 7.5.3 to 7.5.5 does indeed provide a few improvements.
Rhetro
Tinkerer

Post by Rhetro »

Thanks!

You wrote:

A serious system crash may cause corruption of the file system on the startup volume but will often not affect the other volumes.

good point!!! Don't put all your eggs in one basket, right?

I will get started then on the update to 7.5.5 but first I'm going to do a fresh install of 7.5.3.

Cheers!

Rhetro