PowerPC Emulator

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

..::| Dave89 |::..
Mac Mechanic

PowerPC Emulator

Post by ..::| Dave89 |::.. »

Does anyone know of a good PowerPC emulator other than SheepShaver that is easy to setup and has networking capabilities, that can run OS 8.6 on Vista? I had SheepShaver up and running but is pretty unstable, especially when using the internet. I've always liked the old MacOS, I'm running OS 7.5 under Basilisk, but would much prefer to use OS 8.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Dave
Australia
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

SheepShaver is your only choice. Sorry. :(

For what it's worth, you can run Mac OS 8.1 under Basilisk II.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Dave,

What networking choice did you take? Slirp networking perhaps?
I've been looking for stable networking solutions for a long time, but recently settled on using the BasiliskII ethernet driver on the windows side and Netscape 7.0 on the mac os side.

http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... net_driver

Netscape 7.0 is slow, but my connection is stable and as the rendering engine is from 2003 (I believe), many websites show up correctly. I can even watch Youtube.

Best,
Cat_7
Mac Mechanic

Yes, slirp networking. I use Netscape, I think it's version 7. I like SheepShaver, just not it's instability.

Dave
Australia
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

As I said, you might give the BasiliskII ethernet driver option a go.

Best,
Cat_7
Mac Mechanic

I'm not too sure how to do that, as the GUI setup is different in SheepShaver. I got the drivers from my Basilisk folder. Everything else in OS 8 seems stable, apart from some freezing of the mouse cursor which usually fixes itself in a few seconds. I was just using it to write up some text documents, and it ran pretty good.

EDIT: SheepShaver isn't as stable as I thought. I tried to install Acrobat Reader from the install disk, and it hung the emulator, so I had to terminate it in Task Manager, and Kaleidoscope crashed it on startup, forcing me to reinstall. But still usable, just have to backup data more often.

Dave
Australia
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Those problems don't arise in my install. Did you do a fresh install of Mac OS or do you use some disk image you acquired through the net?

Best,
Cat_7