Macintosh II emulation and System 6?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ambassador
Apple Corer

Macintosh II emulation and System 6?

Post by Ambassador »

Reading about the recent breakthrough with MiniVmac relating to Mac II emulation, I was wondering if it was possible with any of the current emulators to emulate System 6 with a Mac II-based Rom or perhaps an LC, SE/30, etc. I know you can run System 6 with Basilisk II Build 94 and a Classic rom, but what about a Mac II-based rom?
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: Macintosh II emulation and System 6?

Post by yksoft1 »

Ambassador wrote:Reading about the recent breakthrough with MiniVmac relating to Mac II emulation, I was wondering if it was possible with any of the current emulators to emulate System 6 with a Mac II-based Rom or perhaps an LC, SE/30, etc. I know you can run System 6 with Basilisk II Build 94 and a Classic rom, but what about a Mac II-based rom?
Currently only SoftMac emulates a System 6 Mac with 68020 and color.
A real Mac II ROM(not IIx or 32-bit clean ones) may work in the new build of Mini vMac II.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Currently only SoftMac emulates a System 6 Mac with 68020 and color.
Would a Basilisk II 94 Build with 68020 emulation also work?
ryandesign
Space Cadet

Post by ryandesign »

To give an update on the current state of things: Mini vMac was updated in December 2008 to add the -m IIx option which allows you to now use the ROM of a Macintosh IIx, IIcx, II FDHD, or SE/30. I have been able to run it with color with System 7.5.5. Under System 6 it's fairly crashy, and crashes instantly if I try to enable color.