System 6 Shareware Games

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: System 6 Shareware Games

Post by 24bit »

Macintoshgarden is your friend - unless server is down :-)
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/macman
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I guess that none of those games qualify for inclusion on the System 6 Hell collection (freeware/shareware and from the 1980s). Good luck finding them on Macintosh Garden. Do come back and make recommendations if any qualifying games catch your eye while you are over there.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I just added Pharaoh to the page:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/system_6_hell?&#p

It's an awesome trading sim. As an upstart Pharaoh, you have to buy land, grow crops and make trade deals with your neighbors. One of the guys on Macintosh Garden contacted the author of the game and he was cool enough to provide a registration code.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I updated the page (for the first time in ages) to include the Minesweeper variant "Mines":

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/system_6_hell#mines

Also, a reader sent in this collection of all the disk images (as of August 2) all zipped up together:

http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/sys6hellgameset.zip

People often ask why I don't provide a complete collection of the games. I guess the answer is that I'm too lazy to update both the individual disk image and an archive of all the disk images whenever I add a new game. :P
Last edited by ClockWise on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
insanity
Space Cadet

Post by insanity »

Greetings and salutations. I have acquired a copy of the shareware game (and best Mac game of all time) NetTrek. The problem is it was zipped with a newer version than is recognized within the vMac environment, so I need your help accessing it. I suspect it was zipped in OS/X, no idea which version. Anyone willing to make a .dsk image of the files?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Here's insanity's archive:

http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/NTDisk.zip

I think that the application was zipped up in OS X. Perhaps someone with an OS X system can turn it into something usable. That's not possible with a Linux or Windows host.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Here is a 800k.dsk with the files. The game works, but I couldn't save the icons. (didn't try too hard though).

http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/800k.dsk.zip

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It was a real challenge to make the icons again show up on a 800k disk in Mini vMac, but on this image it should work: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/emaculat ... ek.dsk.zip
insanity
Space Cadet

Post by insanity »

It works! Thank you for working on this, emulation gurus!

Edit: I wonder if there is any way to get the networking functional in this game. It's fun fighting computer opponents, but even better with real players.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Y'know, NetTrek never really went away and versions for modern operating systems abound.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netrek
ClockWise wrote:That's not possible with a Linux or Windows host.
Don't forget about The Unarchiver!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Jorpho, I know we discussed this already... but I am old and senile. Are you sure that The Unarchiver will work in THIS situation, where it's just an application that has been zipped up in OS X. Won't the file be useless no matter how it is expanded on the Windows side? Or is there some version of The Unarchiver that will work inside the emulation to expand the file?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Edit: I wonder if there is any way to get the networking functional in this game. It's fun fighting computer opponents, but even better with real players.
Hi, now we are getting into the dungeons of emulation. SheepShaver and Basilisk allow networking, but with limited usability (if your game requires Appletalk, you need to install extra software and set some stuff).

As you are using Mini vMac that doesn't help you (perhaps you game runs in one of these emulators?)
There is some networking support in the latest version of vMac, but I don't know how to configure it, nor what functionality it provides exactly. I believe it currently can't get you to the internet.

Best,
Cat_7
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

ClockWise wrote:Jorpho, I know we discussed this already... but I am old and senile. Are you sure that The Unarchiver will work in THIS situation, where it's just an application that has been zipped up in OS X. Won't the file be useless no matter how it is expanded on the Windows side? Or is there some version of The Unarchiver that will work inside the emulation to expand the file?
Pardon me; I should have taken a look at it before saying anything. The task is even simpler in this case. :wink:
  1. Unzip all the files in the archive to a convenient folder with a standard unzip program.
  2. Copy all the files from __MACOSX\NTDisk to the NTDisk folder.
  3. Rename each of the copied files so that instead of starting with "._", they start with "%".
  4. Browse to the NTDisk folder with HFV Explorer and copy the files (HFV Explorer will see them as three files, with icons intact!) to a convenient HFV volume.
The magic works because all the resource fork data is in the __MACOSX folder in the form of AppleDouble files recognized by HFV Explorer (if they're named correctly).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Cat_7 wrote:As you are using Mini vMac that doesn't help you (perhaps you game runs in one of these emulators?)
I did not test it extensively (I am not a gamer), but this version seems to run fine in BasiliskII. Registered automatically online when launched the first time and on one occasion even found one opponent on the net.

This is in MacOSX, but I suppose it will work in Windows also:
BasiliskII with slirp networking
System 7.5.5 with OpenTransport networking
Window size set to 640x480, Colors set to 256.

I noticed that using the Quit button in the opening screen causes a crash, but Command-Q appeared to work and other methods to end the game while playing also worked.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

@Ronald: you might be mistaken? The game requires appletalk. It said so at start in mac os 7.5 in BasiliskII. You might have seen the local computer generated opponent in the menu ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I did not know that. How convenient! The original poster could have taken care of himself had he known all this. Thanks for sharing.
Jorpho wrote:
ClockWise wrote:Jorpho, I know we discussed this already... but I am old and senile. Are you sure that The Unarchiver will work in THIS situation, where it's just an application that has been zipped up in OS X. Won't the file be useless no matter how it is expanded on the Windows side? Or is there some version of The Unarchiver that will work inside the emulation to expand the file?
Pardon me; I should have taken a look at it before saying anything. The task is even simpler in this case. :wink:
  1. Unzip all the files in the archive to a convenient folder with a standard unzip program.
  2. Copy all the files from __MACOSX\NTDisk to the NTDisk folder.
  3. Rename each of the copied files so that instead of starting with "._", they start with "%".
  4. Browse to the NTDisk folder with HFV Explorer and copy the files (HFV Explorer will see them as three files, with icons intact!) to a convenient HFV volume.
The magic works because all the resource fork data is in the __MACOSX folder in the form of AppleDouble files recognized by HFV Explorer (if they're named correctly).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Cat_7 wrote:@Ronald: you might be mistaken? The game requires appletalk. It said so at start in mac os 7.5 in BasiliskII. You might have seen the local computer generated opponent in the menu ;-)
I may indeed have seen a locally generated opponent in the menu. But when I launch the game (started with fresh files to be sure), I do not see anything about AppleTalk and after a while "No Opponents on Net" appears. I thought it could refer to possible opponents on the internet. This version of the game is from 1994, so couldn't it?

Edit: AppleTalk was activated in the Chooser, so that is probably why I did not see a message about AppleTalk. You probably are right. I suppose playing games with opponents on the internet was hardly possible at a time when a 28.8 kbit/s modem was the fastest connection you could have.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I just used Jorpho's tip to take care of another game that was sent to me this morning. HFV Explorer continues to amaze!

Fun fact: the final version of HFV Explorer was released two years before the first version of OS X.

(I'll shortly post a run-down of all the games recently added to the System 6 Hell collection)
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Intended to post an update in this topic... but forgot all about it. The collection continues to be updated, however. I went ahead and added a few useful 1990s applications. Some things are quite good to have, even if they don't fit the 1980s criteria I established earlier.

Stuff added since August includes:

-Stuffit 4.01
-Disinfectant
-The Incredible Story Maker
-Chinese Puzzle
-Net Trek

There are now 90 items in the collection.

As always, find the games and applications over here:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/system_6_hell
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I felt bad that the collection had not been updated since September, so I added "Orion" by E-Maculation forum member "mrob."

It's a very awesome space-flight simulator. I actually had a lot of fun with it this afternoon.

Try using Mini vMac's magnification and speed controls to enjoy the game to its fullest.
Last edited by ClockWise on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I called it "orbit."
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ClockWise wrote:Intended to post an update in this topic... but forgot all about it. The collection continues to be updated, however. I went ahead and added a few useful 1990s applications. Some things are quite good to have, even if they don't fit the 1980s criteria I established earlier.

Stuff added since August includes:

-Stuffit 4.01
-Disinfectant
-The Incredible Story Maker
-Chinese Puzzle
-Net Trek

There are now 90 items in the collection.

As always, find the games and applications over here:

Ah; I remember playing Net Trek in 1990 on a school localtalk network... and some enterprising kid changed the icon to a text document and the name to "English Assignment" -- they used to start up net trek using a single boot disk on all the Macs in the lab and then eject the disk. If/when they got caught, they submitted the disk on hand for analysis with the explanation "it was already like that! I was just trying to do my homework!" I think it was a few months before the lab administrator noticed that all the disks had the same "English Assignment" document and had a closer look....
Tanara Kuranov
Space Cadet

Post by Tanara Kuranov »

Okay, guess I'm new here. So, that makes this my first post.

Firstly, it seems like all the links on System 6 Hell are down. Or at least, I can't download it. Using Chrome, I get a network error when I try. Noticed that as I was going to point people here, among other places, during my video tutorial for setting up Mini vMac that I'm working on, since they were all on nice, convenient mountable disks, from the look of it. Lots of stuff on, say, the Macintosh Garden, you've got to have Basilisk ][ and Expander, MacZip, DiskDup+, and...that's a whole other tutorial video or two right there, heh.

Secondly, I have a couple of suggestions for System 6 Hell. Thought I'd give a couple and try to be productive. I apologize if there's some criteria I'm not sure about. There's 'Dubbelmoral!', a Swedish game taking place during Karneval, where you drink beer and fake doing your homework. Works in monochrome and color. Though, I think it was freeware, not old shareware. Also, it was made in 1990, so it may or may not count as 80's.

There's also the 'Mind Over Mac' set of games, but that's its own boot disk. I believe it'd work on about any old B&W Mac, though. That's a commercial thing, not shareware, though I think most of the games were mistaken as freeware soon enough because all but one, Trivial Intrigue, ran perfectly off the disk and they got redistributed...and the About screens said nothing about where they came from.
Tanara Kuranov, your friendly neighborhood Gamer Mouse

https://www.youtube.com/user/TanaraKuranov
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Tanara Kuranov wrote:Firstly, it seems like all the links on System 6 Hell are down. Or at least, I can't download it. Using Chrome, I get a network error when I try.
The download links work fine here in both Safari and Firefox. Maybe Chrome does not like binary files with extension .dsk?
Tanara Kuranov
Space Cadet

Post by Tanara Kuranov »

Tried Firefox and Safari, neither one worked. Safari gave me the most descriptive error, "kCFErrorDomainWinSock error 10054". It keeps stopping about 100 kB into any of the downloads. I'm running Windows 7, if that affects it.

I am using the right link, right? This is where I'm going:

And the disk download links look like this:
http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/games-p.dsk

I would think Windows could handle it...certainly done my fair share of emulation with these kinds of files before. Have a channel full of videos of them, after all.
Tanara Kuranov, your friendly neighborhood Gamer Mouse

https://www.youtube.com/user/TanaraKuranov
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Tanara Kuranov wrote:And the disk download links look like this:
http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/games-p.dsk
Very strange. The link works fine here. I am on OSX and cannot check with Windows myself but many Windows users use these links and I never heard about this problem before. Is it only with the downloads? Can you access pages on the wiki normally? What about other downloads from the wiki? See this page: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/downloads

Could there be a name server issue? Or a proxy server issue? Are you on a special network, like an enterprise network or on a university campus? Or do you have some kind of web-safe software that blocks these downloads?

Maybe someone else can try these links on a Windows 7 machine to be sure it is not an issue that affects all Windows 7 machines.