vMac.ROM not fond with Suse Linux

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

24bit
Forum All-Star

vMac.ROM not fond with Suse Linux

Post by 24bit »

Hi,
I have been using MiniVMac on Windows and MacOS Classic platforms and would like to use it on Suse Linux11.0 too.
My problem is, that MiniVMac don't seem to find its vMac.ROM file although it resides in the same directory.
Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thank you!
gryphel
Nice Guy

Re: vMac.ROM not fond with Suse Linux

Post by gryphel »

24bit wrote: I have been using MiniVMac on Windows and MacOS Classic platforms and would like to use it on Suse Linux11.0 too.
My problem is, that MiniVMac don't seem to find its vMac.ROM file although it resides in the same directory.
In Linux and other X based versions, Mini vMac looks for vMac.ROM in the current directory, instead of the folder containing the application. (Because I don't know of any way in the generic X API or standard C libraries to find the folder containing the application. Perhaps in the future I might look into using Linux specific APIs.)

In many Linux distributions, double clicking on an application will launch it with the current directory set to the application folder. But clearly not all distributions.

Otherwise, to launch Mini vMac, open a terminal window, and set the current directory to the folder containing the application, using the 'cd' command (In some distributions you can drag and drop the icon of the folder into the terminal window, rather than having to type the full path). Then issue the command: “./minivmac”.

Alternatively, on the command line you can tell Mini vMac where the ROM image is with the option "-r <rom_file_path>"
24bit
Forum All-Star

Thanks

Post by 24bit »

Many thanks, your answer helped a lot.
Am I right, there is no "open image" menue and no sound support with your X-windows versions?

Best wishes!
gryphel
Nice Guy

Re: Thanks

Post by gryphel »

24bit wrote: Am I right, there is no "open image" menue and no sound support with your X-windows versions?
Menu bars are also not part of the X API. There is a beginning of a gtk port for Mini vMac, which has menu bars, but missing much else, and is not worth using yet.

The default compile for Linux does not include sound, because of the difficulty of making a binary with sound that works across multiple distributions (I might know how to go about solving this, someday, using the approached used by SDL). You can compile your own version with sound using the option -sound 1 in the build system.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

Hey, did you try typing vMac.ROM with the correct caps in the file name? Linux is really stuborn with that.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I did not have to call for the ROM with an argument or so.
Just did what gryphel wrote above, exactly - and it works.
Still I prefer to run MiniVMac within SheepShaver.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Menu bars are also not part of the X API. There is a beginning of a gtk port for Mini vMac, which has menu bars, but missing much else, and is not worth using yet.
Are you sure about that? Notice the file manager in this screenshot:

It doesn't use the GTK toolkit.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

Jeez, I wonder why. That distro of Red Hat looks like Win 95 with DOS puking all over it.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

It IS 10 years old...
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

Ambassador wrote:
Are you sure about that? Notice the file manager in this screenshot:

It doesn't use the GTK toolkit.
As I understand it, the X API is for low level things like drawing lines and text and receiving mouse and keyboard events. Code needs to be written on top of this to implement user interfaces such as as menus. gtk is a toolkit that implements menus (and much else). But there are also others toolkits. The example in the screenshot may be using an early toolkit. Or it may be implementing it's own menus directly in the application, which is also possible.