i hate bomb messages

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

uyjulian
Apple Corer

i hate bomb messages

Post by uyjulian »

THOESE BOMB MESSAGES ARE ANNOYING!!!

How do you get rid of the bomb messages or skip them?
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

You can't. It's simply a way the Macintosh tells you that there was a problem encountered in a program. It's the equivalent to the BSOD.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

no every time a app crashes its the bomb message and you have to RESTART!!! EVERY TIME!!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A bomb message is a system crash and you do indeed need to restart. In the old Mac OS, application crashes often took the system down also. I remember having to restart several times a day in the years I used System 7.5.x on PPC. Very annoying, especially when unsaved work was lost. Also, the file system suffered from the frequent system crashes and one needed to check and repair the file system regularly.
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

I happens very frequently with older versions of the Mac OS for me as well. Actually, the most frequently in OS 9, I find. I've tried to get some apps to run, and it just quits every now and again. This may simply be because I use OS 9 a lot more than any other system.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

yes apps crash more in minivmac then baslickii
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

It may also be the system that you're using. I find that System 6.0.8 is the most stable that I've used to date. Although, OS 8.1 wasn't that bad either.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Somwhere in the Mini vMac software page or the System 6 Heaven , I remember seeing a program that puts a continue button on almost all messages . It worked for me once . After it crashed and I said continue , the screen went a bit haywire . But , just open windows and stuff , and the screen will clear off to usual .
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

I have uploaded a shareware system util that forces the mac to reboot automatically after an error.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Norton Utilities came with an app called Norton Crashguard, trying to do exactly what its name says.
In many cases Crashguard would tell you "The application xyz has crashed, please save your work and restart you Macintosh"
This worked more or less, but Norton Crashguard would slow down the system deliberately.
So I usually preferred to save my work frequently.
Someone might try it with emulators, though.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

Huh. I'll try it for myself in basilisk II in my spare time. Wait, I once had norton utils, and I don't think I saw that. I'll check
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The German Version4.0 from 1998 and 4.04 from 1999 had Norton Crashguard included but it was gone with 5.
This might let one think, it wasn't the killer application those days.
I am unsure about 3 or earlier actually, and as noted above, it was some kind of clumsy non-Mac like.
If you had to crash at all, you wanted to have it happen at least an elegant way :-)

EDIT: Wikipedia says, it was there with 3.5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Uti ... _Macintosh