Accessing the internet from Fusion

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Necronaut
Space Cadet

Accessing the internet from Fusion

Post by Necronaut »

Is there any way to get Fusion PC 3.0 to see my ethernet card/connect to the internet while running System 7.6.1? I thought installing Microsoft's TCP/IP components for DOS might do the trick but I really don't know.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to all of this.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Sorry... Fusion doesn't have that capability. Basilisk II can get online, though.

Welcome to the forum, meanwhile!
Necronaut
Space Cadet

Post by Necronaut »

ClockWise wrote:Sorry... Fusion doesn't have that capability. Basilisk II can get online, though.

Welcome to the forum, meanwhile!
Darn, that's a shame. I was really hoping to get it working from DOS because fusion works so well on my old 386.

Thanks anyway.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That's kind of awesome that you are using FUSION on a 386, by the way. Nice to see old hardware being used in the modern world.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Doesn't Fusion support dial-up? I could be mistaken.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Actually, I think it does have some networking support, but I don't know about getting online. Someone will have to fill in the details.
Necronaut
Space Cadet

Post by Necronaut »

ClockWise wrote:That's kind of awesome that you are using FUSION on a 386, by the way. Nice to see old hardware being used in the modern world.
I had a lot of fun putting it together. It runs both system 7.6.1 through Fusion and Windows 3.11. I can access the internet through 3.11 and it actually works impressively well, considering how much the internet has changed since Iexplorer 5.0.
Ambassador wrote:Doesn't Fusion support dial-up? I could be mistaken.
I thought I saw some mention of modems in the old documentation but it could have been referring to (null) serial modems.
ClockWise wrote:Actually, I think it does have some networking support, but I don't know about getting online. Someone will have to fill in the details.
Would some kind of serial to ethernet adaptor work, maybe? I've seen modules like this that allow serial connections to ethernet routers but I have no idea if the serial capabilities of Fusion are advanced enough to acquire an IP address through one of these.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

It's worth a shot. You may just get lucky. I would recommend trying Lan Manger first though (or other DOS networking package).
Necronaut
Space Cadet

Post by Necronaut »

Ambassador wrote:It's worth a shot. You may just get lucky. I would recommend trying Lan Manger first though (or other DOS networking package).
I'll look into this. LAN Manager sounds promising.

In the TCP and AppleTalk settings of OS 7.6.1 there are references to connection via a printer port (parallel). Does this mean there's some way to access a LAN over a parallel connection or am I misinterpreting its meaning?
Mike_
Student Driver

Post by Mike_ »

Necronaut wrote:...In the TCP and AppleTalk settings of OS 7.6.1 there are references to connection via a printer port (parallel). Does this mean there's some way to access a LAN over a parallel connection or am I misinterpreting its meaning?
The old Macs had two serial ports: "Modem" and "Printer".
While I don't know what the emulator does with "Printer", my bet would be that it could be used via the PC's COM1 or COM2.
Necronaut
Space Cadet

Post by Necronaut »

Mike_ wrote:
Necronaut wrote:...In the TCP and AppleTalk settings of OS 7.6.1 there are references to connection via a printer port (parallel). Does this mean there's some way to access a LAN over a parallel connection or am I misinterpreting its meaning?
The old Macs had two serial ports: "Modem" and "Printer".
While I don't know what the emulator does with "Printer", my bet would be that it could be used via the PC's COM1 or COM2.
Fusion allows two ports to be configured, including LPT1 and LPT2 which probably coincide with 'Printer'. I tried plugging in an old 56k modem and setting the dip switches for COM2 but it just caused the mouse on COM1 to stop functioning.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

In the TCP and AppleTalk settings of OS 7.6.1 there are references to connection via a printer port (parallel).
The unsuccessful "Macintosh Office" product was said to have used printer ports for networking.
Necronaut
Space Cadet

Post by Necronaut »

After doing some research I've come across some references to SCSI-to-Ethernet adapters for old Macs. One can be seen here: http://www.jagshouse.com/PlusToiMac.html

Would something like this be able to take advantage of Fusion's SCSI support?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Quite a promising solution, I would think.
Did you already try another Mac SCSI device with your setup?
I would try to verify first, that your PC's SCSI host adapter will work with Fusion_PC.
After doing so, chances are high for the Asante SCSI / Ethernet adapter.
Hope you can grab one, after all!