Best OS for Mini vMac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

madcrow
Inquisitive Elf

Best OS for Mini vMac

Post by madcrow »

Since BII doesn't seem to like my laptop, I've decided to use Mini vMac so that I can at least have a little bit of classic Mac on the go. This brings up a big question, though: which version of System/Mac OS should I use? System 6.0.8 probably makes the best use of the limited 4 megs of virtual RAM in Mini vMac, but System 7 runs a few more programs and also seems to have fewer printing problems (modern PostScript interpreters like its output MUCH better) Also, if I do go with System 7, which version should I use: 7.0.x, 7.1.1 or 7.5.3? Did the "core" of System 7 get less bloated/faster over time or are the early versions still best on minimal "hardware"?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I like 6 best, but for my very old games, I am using System3 or 4 occasionally.
Mostly I have MiniVMac running in SheepShaver on my Mandriva host, because I found it the easiest way to copy files all over my computer.

A shame you could not make BII run with your laptop.
Did you check for other hosts except Fedora14? I doubt it is a hardware issue
May be you would like to try Mandriva in Virtual Box OSE and have a look?
I am pretty sure, you can have BII and SS set up immediately.
madcrow
Inquisitive Elf

Post by madcrow »

24bit wrote:I like 6 best, but for my very old games, I am using System3 or 4 occasionally.
Mostly I have MiniVMac running in SheepShaver on my Mandriva host, because I found it the easiest way to copy files all over my computer.

A shame you could not make BII run with your laptop.
Did you check for other hosts except Fedora14? I doubt it is a hardware issue
May be you would like to try Mandriva in Virtual Box OSE and have a look?
I am pretty sure, you can have BII and SS set up immediately.
My laptop only has a 1 GHz CPU (1st generation Pentium M) and benchmarks (natively) about on par with an Atom-based netbook, thus Sheepshaver is out as is doing things like running emulators inside VMs... Anyway, I know it's not a hardware issue as I'd had a working build of BII back before upgrading. I suspect that something in the OS changed that would require tweaks to the build process to get a WORKING binary and I'm just too lazy at the moment.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I see your point about VM, madcrow.
Actually, I am using SheepShaver with my Atom netbook and a Mandriva host system these days for simple gaming.
The performance is not too bad with 7.6 really. I did benchmarks some time ago, clockwise has hosted them somewhere in the forum,
if you should be interested.
madcrow
Inquisitive Elf

Post by madcrow »

24bit wrote:I see your point about VM, madcrow.
Actually, I am using SheepShaver with my Atom netbook and a Mandriva host system these days for simple gaming.
The performance is not too bad with 7.6 really. I did benchmarks some time ago, clockwise has hosted them somewhere in the forum,
if you should be interested.
So Mandriva worksa well on low-end hardware? That's good to know. When it's time for my next upgrade cycle, I'll have to remember that.
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

If you're using Mini vMac, System 6 is great for running all sorts of apps, but you need system 7 sometimes to get them to run. That being the case, you could do this: make a System 6.0.8 install and a System 7.x (7.1.x is usually more than enough, though you may want to go to 7.5.5 for best compatibility) install on two separate images. If space is an issue, just do a minimal install of both, with the printing software required. Bottom line, though, System 6.0.8 is the most stable version I've used to date.
madcrow
Inquisitive Elf

Post by madcrow »

fanman93 wrote:If you're using Mini vMac, System 6 is great for running all sorts of apps, but you need system 7 sometimes to get them to run. That being the case, you could do this: make a System 6.0.8 install and a System 7.x (7.1.x is usually more than enough, though you may want to go to 7.5.5 for best compatibility) install on two separate images. If space is an issue, just do a minimal install of both, with the printing software required. Bottom line, though, System 6.0.8 is the most stable version I've used to date.
Is there any software that will run on a plain 68000 that needs 7.5? The only reason I would consider 7.5 would be if it has some performance improvements...
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

I've only come across software that "requires System 7", and nothing that goes so specific. Although, I would say that the updates are to increase stability. System 7.1.x is the most stable next to 7.5.x, but System 6.0.8 is the most stable I've ever used. So, for a short answer: nothing that I can think of.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

REPLY x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by McIntosh »

System 6, it's fast, clean, and has Multi-Finder!
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

System 6 if you do not have software that requires System 7.x. A rule of thumb is that the lower the version number the faster and less bloated the operating system (i.e. next to System 7.1, System 7.0.1 is faster). All pre-7 version are going to be much faster regardless though, since they were programmed in Assembly rather than Pascal.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Here's our collection of fun things you can do with Mini vMac and System 6:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/system_6_hell
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

Hey, it's a rip off of system 6 heaven! :(