Moving files from Mac Plus/Classic to Mini vMac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

zonebob
Space Cadet

Moving files from Mac Plus/Classic to Mini vMac

Post by zonebob »

Hi all,

I have Mini vMac running on Windows, and I'm trying to move some files from my actual vintage macs to the Mini vMac. I thought this would be easy enough, but I'm running into some problems. Does anyone know a good way to do this?

The vintage macs are a Plus (2.5MB) and a Classic (2MB). The Classic has an internal hard drive, and I have an external SCSI drive that works with either one, and which has system 6.0.8 and System 7.5 both, so either machine can boot either system and read the same drive, and of course the Classic can write Windows disks. Neither has internet capability at this time, but I could probably set that up if necessary. (I also have an original iMac available with System 9, if that will be useful.)

Here's what I tried to do: Stuff the files on the Classic with Stuffit 3.6, and convert them to .sit.hqx files with the same program. Then copy them to PC diskettes, copy these to Windows, use HFVexplorer to move them to a disk image, then open this with Mini vMac, and unstuff them with Stuffit 3.6.

Here's where it fails: Stuffit 3.6, running on either of the old Macs in 6.0.8 (there's not enough memory in 7.5) will stuff the files ok, but when I try to .hqx them, it quits with an error message. I also tried converting them to BinHex with Stuffit 3.6 and again with BinHex 5.0, and this works, however when I try to use HFVexplorer to move these files, it indicates that they are not valid BinHex files. It's frustrating that HFVExplorer insists on doing the BinHex translation itself, it might work better if I could get the file to Mini vMac and let Stuffit do it.

Anyone know another way to do this? If I can add memory to one of the Macs, to allow Stuffit to run in 7.5, will it be able to .hqx the files? Is there another version of Stuffit that will work? I have 1.1, but that doesn't have Binhex or MacBinary capability that I can see. I have Stuffit Expander 4.0.1, but not the full version that can Stuff, does anyone know where to find that? And I understand 5.0 won't run on the old Macs.

Thanks!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hi,
not sure, what would be the easiest way.
Your PC has no SCSI interface I suppose? What about the iMac?
I would try to create uncompressed DiskCopy6 images of the desired files. If you can run 7.5 DC6 is included, I think.
MiniVMac can open img by design, so no need for stuffing here.
If you have to use floppies, I would create a folder short to 1.4MB, open DC6, select "Create Image from Folder" and take that img to MiniVMac.
Just drag the img onto the running emulator´s screen, that should do.

For files bigger 1.4MB, you would indeed have to split/join them with e.g. Stuffit Lite 3.5 from here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zywyi424mmg
The dsk in the above link can be dragged on the MniVMac screen just like the img.

Best wishes!
zonebob
Space Cadet

Post by zonebob »

Thanks, I will try the Diskcopy.

Another clue that I found is that Mini vMac is able to run Stuffit 3.6, and is able to do the .HQX, and it has 4MB of memory, so I may try upgrading the Plus to 4MB if Diskcopy doesn't do what I need.

Thanks!
zonebob
Space Cadet

Post by zonebob »

Thanks for the tip, 24 Bit, that works great. I'm now moving the files over to the vMac.

Thanks!