Building Mini vMac in Ubuntu 10.10

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Building Mini vMac in Ubuntu 10.10

Post by ClockWise »

When building Mini vMac in Ubuntu, I end with the following error:

"make: warning: Clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete."

Meanwhile, the program that is created doesn't run because of "segmentation fault."

Has anyone had any success getting Mini vMac built in Ubuntu 10.10? I follow the directions on the official page, but it all ends with this.

The site does say the following, so perhaps some adjustment is required:

"Mini vMac for Linux is compiled with the Gnu tools in Red Hat Linux 7 (running in Microsoft Virtual PC). But is has also been compiled on a number of other Linux distributions without change. It probably should work with most Linux distributions, and some other Unix and similar operating systems, perhaps with some adjustments to the Makefile and the configuration files."
Last edited by ClockWise on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Building Mini vMac: "make: warning: Clock skew detecte

Post by ClockWise »

Clock Skew is eliminated, but it still doesn't run. Here's the how it builds:

"michael@michael-laptop:~/Desktop/mini$ make
gcc "src/MYOSGLUE.c" -o "bld/MYOSGLUE.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
In file included from src/MYOSGLUE.c:392:
src/PLATGLUE.h: In function ‘vSonyRead’:
src/PLATGLUE.h:419: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
gcc "src/GLOBGLUE.c" -o "bld/GLOBGLUE.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/M68KITAB.c" -o "bld/M68KITAB.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/MINEM68K.c" -o "bld/MINEM68K.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/VIAEMDEV.c" -o "bld/VIAEMDEV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/IWMEMDEV.c" -o "bld/IWMEMDEV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/SCCEMDEV.c" -o "bld/SCCEMDEV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/RTCEMDEV.c" -o "bld/RTCEMDEV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
src/RTCEMDEV.c: In function ‘RTC_Init’:
src/ENDIANAC.h:114: warning: dereferencing pointer ‘a.3’ does break strict-aliasing rules
src/ENDIANAC.h:114: note: initialized from here
src/ENDIANAC.h:114: warning: dereferencing pointer ‘a.3’ does break strict-aliasing rules
gcc "src/ROMEMDEV.c" -o "bld/ROMEMDEV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/SCSIEMDV.c" -o "bld/SCSIEMDV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/SONYEMDV.c" -o "bld/SONYEMDV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/SNDEMDEV.c" -o "bld/SNDEMDEV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/SCRNEMDV.c" -o "bld/SCRNEMDV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/KBRDEMDV.c" -o "bld/KBRDEMDV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc "src/MOUSEMDV.c" -o "bld/MOUSEMDV.o" -c -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized -Os
gcc \
-o "minivmac" -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11 \
bld/MYOSGLUE.o bld/GLOBGLUE.o bld/M68KITAB.o bld/MINEM68K.o bld/VIAEMDEV.o bld/IWMEMDEV.o bld/SCCEMDEV.o bld/RTCEMDEV.o bld/ROMEMDEV.o bld/SCSIEMDV.o bld/SONYEMDV.o bld/SNDEMDEV.o bld/SCRNEMDV.o bld/KBRDEMDV.o bld/MOUSEMDV.o "
gryphel
Nice Guy

Re: Building Mini vMac in Ubuntu 10.10

Post by gryphel »

ClockWise wrote:... the program that is created doesn't run because of "segmentation fault."

Has anyone had any success getting Mini vMac built in Ubuntu 10.10? I follow the directions on the official page, but it all ends with this ...
Sorry, I somehow missing seeing this question sooner. With a bit of experimentation, I believe that you are trying to compile Mini vMac 3.1.3 on the 64-bit version of Ubuntu.

The problem is that Mini vMac is getting compiled as a 64-bit program, when it was expecting to be compiled as 32-bit, and it doesn't work.

Mini vMac 3.2.3 now has the '-t lx64' option to compile as a 64-bit program, which should work.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Building Mini vMac in Ubuntu 10.10

Post by ClockWise »

That did solved my problem. Thank-you for helping. I built Mini vMac and now I have sound!

I will post a couple of builds here for other Ubuntu users who might want to try them out.