Smalltalk-80 setup

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

brunel
Student Driver

Smalltalk-80 setup

Post by brunel »

I'm stuck trying to get Smalltalk-80 to work on Mini vMac. I'm probably doing something stupid as I'm a newbie.
I've created a 224 MB disk and copied over the Smalltalk files and folders using HFVExplorer in Windows.
My tests include an iMac as well as a Windows XP op system.

There's a version of the original Apple Smalltalk-80 system at Magic Garden:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/apple-smalltalk-80

I've set up a Mini vMac 6.0.8 system successfully using the instructions provided on this forum at:
http://emaculation.com/doku.php/mini_vmac_setup
but now I stuck how on what to do next to get the Smalltalk-80 software to work.

Any help or tips on the correct procedure would be appreciated.

thanks
Zenchess2
Space Cadet

Re: Smalltalk-80 setup

Post by Zenchess2 »

I know this is an old post, but I figured I might as well help if you still have problems and for anyone else who is interested in it.

To run the smalltalk-80 environment, you must find a .image file that is double clickable. In other words it will have a picture on it (instead of being just a static file) and will be in the same directory as the virtual machine program.

Double click on the image file, and then follow the directions you can find on the net and the website you got the program from for fixing the error that comes up about wrong hard disk volume from within the smalltalk environment.

I personally am using this smalltalk environment to go through the original smalltalk-80 book. It's a real treasure to have the apple version out there somewhere, as it's quite difficult to get and run any other smalltalk 80 system.
brunel
Student Driver

Post by brunel »

Thanks for the reply. I'm still very interested in getting this to work but I'm still totally stuck - with the disadvantage now that I've forgotten how to work this emulator!

I'm running it on an iMac Mac OS X 10.7.5. Are you running on similar system?

I have a few .img files with a disk icon, but when I click on them the I get a warning message saying that the "legacy image should be converted" and that it couldn't be opened.

Any ideas?

thanks
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

You were trying to open it from the native, Mac OS X environment, and it’s basically telling you to convert what it sees as an old DiskCopy disk image into a .dimg. This image file is meant for only the Smalltalk-80 ‘interpreter’ application, that should appear after unstuffing (I used Expander 5.5).

You have to open the .image file from within Mini vMac. Put the StuffIt archives onto a blank HFS volume, 14 MB or larger in size (20+ MB if you want to put Mac OS 6.0.x onto the same volume).  Start Mini vMac, Open Disk Image..., unstuff, then continue to open the Smalltalk-80.image file within the emulator.

Macintosh Garden lists Smalltalk-80 as Mac OS 1-5.
Testing the betas on system 7.01, it required increasing the Preferred size to run.  Upon quit, it crashed the virtual system with a fullscreen rolling mess (required a quick restart; otherwise, the emulator crashed).  It’s stable under 6.0.3, but updates are still not handled properly.
brunel
Student Driver

Post by brunel »

See the end of thread "Smalltalk-80 for Macos" to find a solution to this problem.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added URL for the referenced thread