MESS CHD problems

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

bfinoradin
Student Driver

MESS CHD problems

Post by bfinoradin »

I am attempting to emulate a Macintosh IIci in MESS. The host machine is a PC running 64bit Windows 7. I am interested in booting from a disk image I have of a 40M hard drive that was pulled from a Macintosh IIci. I am able to boot from this raw image in Basillisk II.

I converted the raw image to a CHD using chdman:

Code: Select all

chdman createhd -i Macintosh_IIci.raw -o Macintosh_IIci.chd
This seems to succeed, with chdman outputting the following:

Output CHD:        Macintosh_IIci.chd
Input file:        Macintosh_IIci.raw
Compression:       lzma <LZMA>, zlib <Deflate>, huff <Huffman>, flac <FLAC>
Cylinders:         100
Heads:             16
Sectors:           50
Bytes/sector:      512
Sectors/hunk:      8
Logical size:      40,960,000
Compression complete ... final ratio = 10.6%
I then try to boot the machine with the following:

mess64 maciici -hard1 Macintosh_IIci.chd
MESS launches, I hear the Mac IIci startup chime, and eventually I get the flashing floppy disk with a question mark. Am I missing something? Why is the machine not seeing the hard drive as a viable startup disk? The original raw image boots in Basilisk II and Mini vMac…
Arbee
Nice Guy

Re: MESS CHD problems

Post by Arbee »

Hi,

Like real hardware, MESS requires that a harddisk image include the partition map and driver partition and stuff. If you did a full block-by-block image of the entire drive, that should work (I've personally booted block images from real Macs). If you just imaged the HFS partition, that will work in Basilisk/vMac but not as a harddisk with MESS.

MESS does include an optional NuBus "disk image card" emulation which allows mounting, reading, writing, and even booting from Basilisk/vMac style images up to 256 MB in size. (Booting is currently somewhat painful to setup). For IIci add "-nbe image" and "-disk whatever.bin" and boot a system floppy, mount a formatted, partitioned blank CHD as -hard1 (available from http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=605 ), and just drag all the files over to the CHD.

I plan to enhance the support in the future so using the image card automatically patches PRAM to boot from it, but that doesn't help you yet :)
bfinoradin
Student Driver

Re: MESS CHD problems

Post by bfinoradin »

That was it. No idea why I only imaged the HFS partition…

Thanks!