MacInTalk Help?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

skyta
Space Cadet

MacInTalk Help?

Post by skyta »

Hey everyone! I'm trying to install MacInTalk on the Mini vMac, and I installed the extensions correctly, but when I press 'Speak All' it says 'Sorry, a system error occured. "SimpleText" illegal instruction'
I've been using this image: http://macintroid.tripod.com/downloads/macintalk3.zip

I'm looking for this specific sound, so in this case other programs won't work. I've heard MacInTalk used in lots of places and I've wanted to play around with it. I don't have access to an actual mac at the moment, so that's ruled out.

Please let me know if you know the solution!

Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: MacInTalk Help?

Post by Cat_7 »

Macintalk3 works fine, at least in Basilisk running system 7.5. Perhaps you should try that?

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Voice Box in MiniVMac is working, maybe not an option?

skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

Where can I find the voice box to download for Mini vMac?? And I'll try Basilisk. Thanks!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I upped it here: http://ubuntuone.com/0Pv38MLW9i8oibXI3v6god
The Voice Box folder is included in a Transport image which can be dropped on the running emulator´s window.
The MacinTalk System extension should be copied to your boot disk´s System folder. :)
skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

It works! Thanks! One thing though, you can't choose the voices. I'm looking for the Fred voice and the Victoria voice. How might I go about getting those working? Thanks!

As for Basilisk II, it's also working, but MacInTalk isn't. When I open up SimpleText, the 'Speech' list is grayed out.

When I start up Basilisk II, it says "A driver for the selected AppleTalk connection could not be found. The built-in LocalTalk port will be used instead."

Thanks!
skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

And just so that you know, I expanded and extracted etts.hqx with Stuffit and put it in a .dsk, but none of the files have extensions (.---- in this case, not dependencies), and I can't do anything with them. With the grayed out list, I have a hunch that the system doesn't have the right dependencies/extensions to run it?

Thanks for all of your help so far!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Ah, I recall Fred. :)
I´ll look through my files.
I think VoiceBox was a very early implementation, so there were no voices available.
You sure played with pitch already.
I did not use MacIn Talk much, wasn´t there a thread about it here some time ago?
Search might come up with something.

7.1 and 7.5 seem to speak to me, a bit choppy maybe. However I can't seem to find the installers, probably the files were included with the System installations. I might upload my 7.1 if you can't find nothing better. The OS is German though.
skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

Thanks! I don't know German very well (but I'm working on it :mrgreen: ) but the Mac OS 7 interface is pretty straight-forward, so I should be able to manage. Thanks for all of your help so far! :D
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Here it is: http://ubuntuone.com/1hZR2xQDuciywEgylMwtMB
I stripped it down to System Folder and Simple Text to save some bandwith. :)
skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

Awesome! Thanks! Should I use Stuffit Expander?
skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

Hmm... It loads up fine, but when I click 'Speak All' it says 'An error occurred when SimpleText tried to speak.'
I didn't put in any special characters or anything like that. When I changed the voice, and clicked 'Speak All' it said 'Ein systemfehler ist aufgetreten. "SimpleText" Fehler: 11' and it has the option to restart.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I see. :( So we know that.
Needless to say the speech was working when I booted B_II from the image.
System was MacIIci, 68030 with FPU. (Quadra800 ROM - but I dont think that matters.)
Maybe we can sort out things tomorrow.
skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

I got it working! I changed it to 68030 and it works now! Thanks for all of your help! For anyone who wants help with this, I'm using a performa ROM with the OS 24bit provided. Thanks!
skyta
Space Cadet

Post by skyta »

I do have a few questions though. First one is, how do you enter custom messages in the Speech control panel, and or how do you change the speed and pitch in SimpleText? Second is that I used the System Installer to install MacInTalk 3, but I can't find the application shortcuts. How might I open it? Third is, MacInTalk 3 comes with a bunch of voices other than the basic 5, including Victoria, and some alien voices, but they don't show up.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

To enter custom messages in Speech control panel, you need to fire up ResEdit and modify the sample text strings.

Speed and Pitch can't be changed from TeachText; however, if you're using an OS that has AppleScript enabled, you can script the text to speech engine to tweak it however you want -- there are also a number of third party apps out there that give you direct control over these things (someone even wrote an app that lets Macintalk sing).

Macintalk 3 voices require the Macintalk 3 engine and, IIRC, a 32-bit system with FPU. You'd be better off using SheepShaver with Mac OS 8.6 to use these voices than Mini vMac or BII.