Send files from OS X 10.7+ to miniVMac?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Send files from OS X 10.7+ to miniVMac?

Post by emendelson »

Does anyone have any up-to-date information on whether it's possible (under recent versions of OS X) to write to a disk image that can be mounted in miniVMac? I know that I can mount an HFS disk image under OS X and copy files FROM it. But is there a way to copy to binary files (with resource fork if it exists) TO that disk?

Thanks for any help.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Send files from OS X 10.7+ to miniVMac?

Post by 24bit »

Its possible to write to disk images for MiniVMac with BasiliskII or SheepShaver. (Or with a virtual machine running OSX 10.5)
Writing images in 10.7 Terminal with the use of dd should also work. I did not try though, dd´ing some folder to img.

With 10.6 or higher, sit files can be written to a FAT32 image which should mount in MiniVMac with the help of PCExchange.
MacOS7 will be needed in MiniVmac to use PCExchange and Stuffit 3.X to 4 to expand the sit. Given it is Stuffit 3.X compatible. :)
MiniVMacs helper apps ImportFile and ExportFile will be a lot nicer than FAT32 images, I presume.

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thanks! It sounds as if ImportFile and ExportFile are probably the least indirect ways to go. Will pursue them...
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Well, it's slow and clumsy, but it works: As 24bit suggested, ImportFl and ExportFl are the most reliable ways to get files into and out of mini vMac, but if you want to move binary files, you need to encode them and decode them in both directions. Simple suggestions below:

You'll need DropStuff and Stuffit Expander in mini vMac; I'll leave the details of that up to you. Anyone here can easily find them.

To send files to mini vMac, binhex them either from the command line or from an AppleScript application with this code:

Code: Select all

property msgTitle : "Make Binhex"

on run
	tell me to activate
	display dialog "Drop one or more files on me." & return & return & "I will create binhex-encoded copies in the same folder with the original." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note with title msgTitle giving up after 10
end run

on open (theDrop)
	repeat with i from 1 to number of items in theDrop
		set dropFile to item i of theDrop
		set the dropPosix to quoted form of the POSIX path of dropFile
		try
			do shell script "binhex encode " & dropPosix
		on error errMsg
			if errMsg contains "File exists" then set errMsg to "The output file already exists."
			activate
			display dialog "Could not create the binhex file." & return & return & errMsg with title msgTitle buttons {"OK"} giving up after 10
		end try
	end repeat
end open
Save it as an application with a name like "Make Binhex" and drop files on the application to encode them.

Inside mini vMac, run ImportFl and drag the binhex file into the window. Quit ImportFl. Drop the imported binhex file on Stuffit Expander to decode it into a binary.

To get files out of mini vMac into OS X, drop them on DropStuff to create a binhex-encoded file. Run ExportFl and drop the binhex file on its window. Use the prompt to save the exported file somewhere in OS X. Quit ExportFl. In OS X let the default unarchiver/expander application decode the encoded binhex file back into a binary.