Self-contained mini vMac & disk image for OS X

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Self-contained mini vMac & disk image for OS X

Post by emendelson »

Following a suggestion by Ronald, here is a method for creating a self-contained AppleScript application that runs mini vMac and a disk image that works with it. You must already have a copy of mini vMac, a suitable ROM, and a disk image that you know works.

Here is the method. In the AppleScript Editor, create a new empty file, save it as an Application to your Desktop or any convenient place.

Click the Bundle Contents button. In the slide-out window, drag three things into the Resources window: a mini vMac application, a ROM file, and a disk image.

Then paste this code in the editor window - but in the "open document file" line CHANGE the two strings in quotation marks so that they use the actual name of you disk file and whatever name you use for the mini Vmac application:

Code: Select all

set myRes to (path to me as text) & "Contents:Resources:"
tell application "Finder"
	open document file "WPMac755.dmg" of folder myRes using application file "mvMac.app" of folder myRes
end tell
Save and double click. You can change the default icon by replacing the built-in icon file or by pressing Cmd-I on the application bundle and pasting an image at the top of the inspector window to replace the default icon.

With this code, the applet should work anywhere on your disk. You don't need to specify the actual paths.
Mac8a
Student Driver

Re: Self-contained mini vMac & disk image for OS X

Post by Mac8a »

I can't seem to find "Bundle Contents button" I'm on OS X Yosemite 10.10 does that matter?

[Edit] Never mind I figured it out. Thanks for this awesome trick!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You don't actually have to do any of this for mini vMac -- from the documentation:

" if you create a folder called “mnvm_dat” inside the “Contents” folder within the application bundle (control click on the application and choose “Show Package Contents”), then Mini vMac will look for the “vMac.ROM” file, and the disk1.dsk, disk2.dsk, etc files, within the “mnvm_dat” folder. This allows you to make a self contained Mac OS X application that runs an application for the Mac Plus (especially when used with the “AutoQuit” software.) "
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:You don't actually have to do any of this for mini vMac -- from the documentation:

" if you create a folder called “mnvm_dat” inside the “Contents” folder within the application bundle (control click on the application and choose “Show Package Contents”), then Mini vMac will look for the “vMac.ROM” file, and the disk1.dsk, disk2.dsk, etc files, within the “mnvm_dat” folder. This allows you to make a self contained Mac OS X application that runs an application for the Mac Plus (especially when used with the “AutoQuit” software.) "
It's the story of my life: put a lot of work into solving a problem, and then discover that someone else solved it already. Next time, I'll read the documentation.... Thanks for this - much easier and more reliable than my method.