Mini vMac 3.3.3, SDL under Linux?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

marciot42
Inquisitive Elf

Mini vMac 3.3.3, SDL under Linux?

Post by marciot42 »

Has anyone been successful in getting Mini vMac 3.3.3 to work under Linux using SDL 1.2? I get the following mess when I try running it:

It looks to be a color depth issue, so I tried compiling it with a higher color depth. It complained that the Mac Plus only supported B&W. So I tried rebuilding it as a Mac II, and it rewarded me with a juicy seg fault.

So at this point, I'm wondering whether the SDL support works at all in Mini vMac.

This is part of a larger project I am working on (http://marciot.freeshell.org/macplus). I've been writing a web user interface for emulators that builds upon the work that James Friend did in porting Hampa Hug's PCE to JavaScript and right now I would like to add the option to choose among different emulator engines. PCE/macplus works great currently, but I would like to add Mini vMac as an option as well (mostly so I can run software from System 6 Hell, which currently uses vMac disk images that are not directly readable by PCE).

My first hurdle is to figure out how to run Mini vMac with SDL 1.2 support, so that I can then cross-compile it to JavaScript using Emscripten.

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Marcio
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Mini vMac 3.3.3, SDL under Linux?

Post by ClockWise »

Paul Pratt (Mini vMac developer) visits this forum every now and then. I suspect that you could also ask him your question via the form on his site, or perhaps point him towards this topic.

Does PCE really not read those disk images? I can put the files in a more usable format if you need them. Just let me know.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It might also be useful for someone to update PCE so that it can use the .dsk images, as they've become a de-facto standard.
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

marciot42 wrote:So at this point, I'm wondering whether the SDL support works at all in Mini vMac.
A copy of my reply on Mini vMac Mail:

The SDL port is believed to be functional, but it is true I've only tried it on OS X recently. Bug reports are welcome. I'll try it on Linux when I find time.

One possible issue is that if you're running a modern version of Linux on a modern machine, it is likely you are running a 64 bit linux. In that case you should be using "-t lx64" instead "-t lx86". Normally, trying to compile the wrong version of assembly code would alert you, but you have disabled that.

Did you try the standard compile without SDL (using X)?

Update: I have tried "-t lx64 -api sdl -no-asm" on a VMware image I have of Ubuntu 10.04 with SDL 1.2.14. It seems to work without problems. I tried "-t lx32 -api sdl -no-asm" and as expected it didn't work, hanging with a black screen with the ROM image, and gives a "Segmentation fault" without the ROM, which matches pretty well what you describe.

For the next version, I'll look into having the build system put a check for this situation in the configuration file it generates.