Mini vMac issue

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ArcaneGazebo
Space Cadet

Mini vMac issue

Post by ArcaneGazebo »

Hello,

I'm having an issue setting up Mini vMac on Windows 7 64 bit. I've followed the instructions from the official site and the sticky on these forums to no avail. The gist is that everything goes fine until it's time to Drag the System Startup file onto the Mini vMac window, instead of booting normally it simply displays an X. I am using the file supplied on the main Mini vMac site named SSW_6.0.8-1.4MB_Disk1of2.sea.bin and extracting System Startup from it inside of SheepShaver, then transferring it back using HVF Explorer since I couldn't find a version of Stuffit that would extract the file on windows 7. I've included an album of images to illustrate the issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://imgur.com/0KBMjj3,vNcll2w,Ag8dGj3#0
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mini vMac issue

Post by adespoton »

I see that what are supposed to be .img files are .bin files -- are they encoded in MacBinaryII? If so, they'll be unusable.

Do the files mount as proper images in SheepShaver? If not, that's where your problem is.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

ArcaneGazebo wrote:I am using the file supplied on the main Mini vMac site named SSW_6.0.8-1.4MB_Disk1of2.sea.bin and extracting System Startup from it inside of SheepShaver, then transferring it back using HVF Explorer since I couldn't find a version of Stuffit that would extract the file on windows 7.
1. How, using what, did you extract System Startup inside SheepShaver?
2. As far as I know, there is no need to use HVF Explorer to transfer the extracted disk image file back.
ArcaneGazebo
Space Cadet

Post by ArcaneGazebo »

I appreciate the feedback and just thought I'd post an update on the situation. After completely erasing everything yesterday, I tried again to get it working this morning and it worked no problem. I used a different ROM this time around, so my best guess is that the ROM I was using initially had something wrong with it. The System Startup and Additions files were extracted in Sheep Shaver using Stuffit Expander 5.5 and transferred back with HFV Explorer. Thanks again for the help.