Compiling Mini vMac under OS 9

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

peter_j
Tinkerer

Compiling Mini vMac under OS 9

Post by peter_j »

I acknowledge up-front that I do not know what I am doing.

I got all encouraged compiling under Windows, which works oh-so-smoothly.

I installed both CW 8.0 ( upgraded to 8.3 ) and MPW. I followed the instructions in the build section. CW just throws vast amounts of errors. MPW is funny - I set the directory, typed "make" and it just does nothing. Glares at me with hostility. On one attempt only out of many the undo twice showed me a bunch of commands but pressing the Enter key did nothing. Just glared at me with hostility.

I am clearly clueless - has anyone any further tips to compile? Idiot level please.

EDIT. Excited! First build for OS X via Xcode just worked! Wonderful.
gryphel
Nice Guy

Re: Compiling Mini vMac under OS 9

Post by gryphel »

I haven't built Mini vMac in CodeWarrior in a long while, so it wouldn't be surprising if it has stopped working. I regularly build requested variations using MPW, so that ought to work.

Perhaps there is a problem with your Enter key? You can also run commands in MPW by clicking on the box in the window labeled "MPW Shell".

As a test, you could try running a simple command like "Echo Hello", which should write out "Hello".
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you for your quick response. I'll try some more. I must say your compiling setup is really amazing. :smile:
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

Make sure you are using the enter key, not the return key. On numpad keyboards enter key can be found at the far-right, while no-numpad keyboards hit fn-return to get enter.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

julialy wrote:Make sure you are using the enter key, not the return key. On numpad keyboards enter key can be found at the far-right, while no-numpad keyboards hit fn-return to get enter.
Well all I can say is "whack me with a wet fish"! :wink:

That does it - perfectly. :smile:

I'm running under Sheepshaver on a PC and both keys on my keyboard say "Enter", and I would never have guessed. Thank you so much. I'll just sit here and feel stupid a bit longer...