"Carbonless Copies" by ARDI

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Temporary Joe
Student Driver

"Carbonless Copies" by ARDI

Post by Temporary Joe »

In addition to Executor, ARDI made one other product, Carbonless Copies, which would build a full installer/application out of an existing Mac program. I use Steam these days (my MacBook recently died, or at least comatose until I can figure out exactly what's wrong with it) and was hoping to integrate some old Mac programs into it. I suppose it would be easier these days to just try to use AutQuit with a Mini vMac emulator, but this way I could bypass its startup times. Or is it even worth it?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: "Carbonless Copies" by ARDI

Post by adespoton »

You're probably not going to get much better with Carbonless Copies than with Mini vMac II and AutOpen. In fact, you can just rename the games as Finder, change the type/creator to FNDR/MACS, and replace the actual Finder; it will then auto-load. Use the earliest system that will load your game correctly, as 7.1 loads much faster than 7.5, and 7.0 loads even faster (and 6.0.8 faster still, and still supports color).
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

I had the impression that Carbonless Copies amounted to something like a development service, such that those (few) who paid for a Carbonless Copy would wind up with a wholly customized and debugged version of Executor.

I still think it would be neat to see the idea revived someday, and thus allow the free release of old Macintosh programs unencumbered by any concerns about Apple's intellectual property, but last I heard, no one was even able to get Executor to compile under modern versions of Windows.

Speaking of load times: is there any particular reason why something like Mini vMac can't "save state" and thus be restored instantly to its post-boot condition upon startup? (It would of course mean that the system clock would be jumping around.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

There's no reason an emulator can't save state; it would be kind of pointless for Mini vMac though, as it can boot to the starting app in about the same amount of time as it could restore a saved state.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

adespoton wrote:There's no reason an emulator can't save state; it would be kind of pointless for Mini vMac though, as it can boot to the starting app in about the same amount of time as it could restore a saved state.
Hey, it'd be handy for cheating at Crystal Quest.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.