Mini vMac Updates: September 4, 11

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Mini vMac Updates: September 4, 11

Post by ClockWise »

I haven't been keeping on top of these, but here's your mini vMac updates:

September 4:

"he latest Mini vMac Development source snapshot has some further work on the SDL 2.0 port. Like most other ports, it can now use the ROM image at a central location, looking in a folder named “mnvm_rom” in the folder that SDL_GetPrefPath returns. What SDL_GetPrefPath returns depends on the platform, on OS X it returns “~/Library/Application Support/gryphel/minivmac”. (Not that SDL for OS X really matters for Mini vMac, since a native port already exists. All the work with SDL is to help port Mini vMac to new platforms.)

Also added to the SDL 2.0 port is the option to let SDL handle scaling (for drawing in Magnify Mode), rather than code in Mini vMac. So whichever version works better can be chosen when using the SDL port to make a more native port of Mini vMac for a particular platform.

Recently I had allowed the Macintosh II emulation to boot in color, since it seemed to work now. But now I found that this may not work for color depths of thousands or millions, and so disabled it again in those cases. This only affects booting, soon after the color mode is changed to the value saved on disk.

The Mini vMac build system has been updated to match source shared with the Mini vMac extras. One (obscure) bug fixed by this is where the Export command would not overwrite an existing file (after the Standard Put File dialog asks if you want to replace it)."

September 11:

The latest Mini vMac Development source snapshot has some further work on the SDL 2.0 port. Like other ports, there are now separate magnify states for when in full screen mode and when not. And when first entering full screen mode, the magnify state is set automatically depending on the screen size. A new feature only in the SDL port so far is that using the scroll wheel of the mouse acts as if arrow keys are pressed, giving roughly the expected behavior of a scroll wheel.

Source:

http://www.gryphel.com/c/news/index.html
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Mini vMac Updates: September 4, 11

Post by ClockWise »

Indeed, there have been a ton of mini vMac developments recently.

I've been swamped with offline work concerns over the past year, but I look forward to diving into these in the new year!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mini vMac Updates: September 4, 11

Post by adespoton »

There have definitely been a lot of developments, and since Mac II emulation went stable, Paul has been getting a lot of feedback for future work. Right now the main push is for stable SDL2 support though.

If you find a bug or miss a feature remember to lat Paul know at the feedback page at gryphel.com. Remember that all feedback gets posted on the public feedback page, so don't post anything you don't want everyone to see -- Paul does a good job of redacting personal info, but he shouldn't have to spend extra time doing that.