Mini vMac II and QuickTime

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

yksoft1
Master Emulator

Mini vMac II and QuickTime

Post by yksoft1 »

I've tried playing QuickTime movies in my self-compiled Mini vMac II. I have to fix some Windows-specific code in order to make it build on my ancient nmake toolchain made with parts from Visual C++ 4.2 and Windows NT 3.51 SDK (Why Gryphel doesn't support nmake Makefile, only supports Visual C++ projects in his source code builder?).
Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0RWLqVYe58

I'm very glad to see the progress of Mac II emulation these years, however there is still some problems playing QuickTime movies.
If I install Sound Manager extension, playback stops randomly.
If I don't install it, audio and video desyncs often.

I couldn't figure out what caused this.
gryphel
Nice Guy

Re: Mini vMac II and QuickTime

Post by gryphel »

yksoft1 wrote:Why Gryphel doesn't support nmake Makefile, only supports Visual C++ projects in his source code builder?
The Mini vMac build system does support nmake, by using the
-cl option (for "use Command Line tools"), combined with -e msv and -ev.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

gryphel wrote:
yksoft1 wrote:Why Gryphel doesn't support nmake Makefile, only supports Visual C++ projects in his source code builder?
The Mini vMac build system does support nmake, by using the
-cl option (for "use Command Line tools"), combined with -e msv and -ev.
I'm sorry that I ignored that part in the documents.

Today I built Mini vMac II with SDL API in Windows and I found that the movie playback problem around QuickTime and Sound Manager still exists but appears much less often.

EDIT: I've created a disk image with system and movie files which could be used to reproduce the problem.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9Lsi ... TdmVEJsRVU
Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

First of all, I'm glad to see that Paul managed to get the emulated Apple Sound Chip working, that the sound plays as well as it does, without breakup.

Testing out the latest version, I see that System 7 sounds played in the Finder are interrupted before completion. Incorrect sound buffer completion timing may be the culprit behind why QuickTime A/V speeds up and stops.