which emulator is right for me

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Arton
Space Cadet

which emulator is right for me

Post by Arton »

I am new so I am sorry if this has already been answered. I am running an iMac 10.12.6 and I so far have been lead to believe that this computer is too new to work with an emulator for the game Allied General. This game came out in 95 and I really want to play it again. I have another computer that is 9.2. I didn't see any of the emulators that cover this version of the os. I am not very good with software or the internet so any directions will have to be painfully specific lol. I hope that the rumours of emulators harming computers is false but either way I would like to know if it is true. I looked at code weavers for this computer but the game won't work so I thought my older one might be easier. I would need to know which emulator, how to get said, how to install it and how to get it from this computer to my old one which is not on the net. Assuming that there is some difference to disc initialization from new to old. Also as a side note can the old one run xp emulator as well or would that be easier on this computer?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: which emulator is right for me

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That game seems not to run on Mac OS 9. Mac OS 8.6 is the highest version that supports it.

See here for information: http://macintoshgarden.org/games/allied-general

So you best bet would be to install BasiliskII on your Mac with 10.12. Install Mac OS 8.1 and then install the game. BasiliskII nor the game will run on your Mac with Mac OS 9.2.

We have an extensive guide here:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup

Best,
Cat_7
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Arton wrote:Also as a side note can the old one run xp emulator as well or would that be easier on this computer?
I don't think there's a way to emulate XP on a PowerMac. But you could run it on your modern iMac using VirtualBox.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

For Allied General SheepShaver is obviously worth a try too.
From the game´s data card:
We know you’re anxious to begin ALLIED GENERAL, but before you do, please be sure that your system meets the following minimum system requirements:
• Macintosh 20 MHz 68030 (Macintosh Quadra or a Power Macintosh recommended for faster game play). ALLIED GENERAL is accelerated for Power Macintosh
• System 7 with QuickTime 2.0, System 7.5 or later recommended
• An uncompressed hard drive with 35 MB free
• Single-speed CD-ROM drive, double-speed or faster recommended • 13” color monitor (or larger) required
For playing the game, some files need to be copied to your emulated Mac HDD and the game CD has to reside in your emulated Mac´s "CD drive".
Install a MacOS of your choice MacOS 7.6 to 8.6 for SheepShaver.
Mount another volume of 2GB or more with SheepShaver for game files and toast image.
Move the toast onto your scratch volume via the "Unix" folder.
Mount the toast with Virtual DVD-ROM Utility: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility
Copy over files to your scratch volume as pointed out in Data Card.pdf.

You should have something like this:

Now you may run the game finally. ;)
The game sets SheepShaver´s display to 256 colours, but runs fine otherwise with MacOS 8.6 OldWorldROM.
Other setups may work just as well presumably.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You can run XP inside Virtual PC on a PowerMac. But it's not going to be very fast. Better to virtualize XP on an Intel Mac. And the free version of Parallels Desktop Lite will do a much better job than VirtualBox.
Arton
Space Cadet

Post by Arton »

Thanks for the info, about parallels desktop I understand you can get xp running on this mac I'm on right now but my info says that something has to be monkeyed with for allied general to work on xp. Something about wing32.dll being put in part of the system? there is the lack of software for me lol. I would love hearing how to get that done on this mac.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Actually,you may have better luck running it inside a WineSkin (wineskin.urgesoftware.com) on an Intel mac. This will bundle it up with WINE to run natively under OS X. You may still need to manually add wing32.dll to the bundle to make it function, however. Running it under PPC emulation isn't likely going to give you the performance you'll want.