Dmg2iso help: results in smaller size

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mactemp
Space Cadet

Dmg2iso help: results in smaller size

Post by mactemp »

I tried converting a dmg to iso through DMG2ISO, and the converted .iso image file resulted much smaller then the dmg file.

This is what I get in the command prompt when I convert it:
"
reading property list..OK
found 1 partitions
decompressing:
partition 0.....ok

conversion sucessful
"
Aren't there supposed to be more partitions?
Anyone else have this problem?
thanks
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

What did you convert? What OS are you running?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

I can confirm this. This seems to be the case when trying to convert harddisk images instead of CD/DVD images.

kybernaut
vu1tur
Inquisitive Elf

Post by vu1tur »

Some images have one partition, some have few.
mactemp
Space Cadet

Post by mactemp »

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm trying to convert a 2gb dvd .dmg ( :roll: ) on Windows XP.
There may be only one partition (?) , but then why would it result in a 200mb .iso?
Side problem: I would of converted it on my mac but it's giving me a "you have to restart your computer " message every time I boot it up.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

mactemp wrote:Thanks for all the replies.
I'm trying to convert a 2gb dvd .dmg ( :roll: ) on Windows XP.
There may be only one partition (?) , but then why would it result in a 200mb .iso?
Side problem: I would of converted it on my mac but it's giving me a "you have to restart your computer " message every time I boot it up.
From what I understand, you have a mac and a Panther DVD, and you ripped the DVD on your mac, transferred the image to your PC, and then tried to convert it back to ISO? If that is the case, why didn't you simply rip the DVD on your PC directly into ISO?
mactemp
Space Cadet

Post by mactemp »

I couldn't it rip it directly to .iso 'cause I only have the image not the physical disc (crossing the line here: http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1909)
I'm trying to figure out why after dmg2iso converts it, it results in a 200mb .iso?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

mactemp wrote:I couldn't it rip it directly to .iso 'cause I only have the image not the physical disc (crossing the line here: http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1909)
I'm trying to figure out why after dmg2iso converts it, it results in a 200mb .iso?
Where did you get the image?