SheepShaver UB build 22 Aug 2007 including PrefsEditor

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Cat_7
Expert User

SheepShaver UB build 22 Aug 2007 including PrefsEditor

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Available now: a SheepShaver Universal Binary from the latest source code. You can get it here:

http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... 8_2007.zip

Please let us know if it works OK.

Best,

Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Cool!

I have a PowerMac 7500 with a G3/400 card that's been in storage for over two years that I'm going to setup in a few hours when my neighbor wakes up (we have super-thin walls). Anyway, is there a minimal Mac OS X system requirement to use SheepShaver and the prefs editor?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I built it using 10.4.8 intel and 10.4.10 ppc (in PearPC :lol:), but I have no idea about requirements.

Best,
Cat_7
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Tried this on my PB G4, and things did not work in older builds still did not work in this build.
Seems there aren't many Windows programmers interested in this project.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Works OK (meaning: the same as the 4 Aug 2007 PPCMac build) with MacOS 9.0.4 on my PowerBook G4 with MacOSX 10.4.10.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Re: SheepShaver UB build 22 Aug 2007 including PrefsEditor

Post by jrethorst »

I'm trying to troubleshoot some complex Applescripts running on SS and OS 8.6, and using the osaxen (scripting additions) Akua Sweets, Dialog Director and Regular Expressions, the last being part of Script Tools by Mark Aldritt, who writes Script Debugger.

With the Intel build of July, these scripts crashed SS. With the PPC build of May, these scripts did not crash but did not work.

With this new build, the scripts still crash the Intel machine, but they work on the PPC. On the PPC, SS still "crashes" at startup, i.e. click Close and it loads normally.

Upshot: this build is better than previous builds, but there are still bugs to fix. I am glad to see so much development.

John
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver UB build 22 Aug 2007 including PrefsEditor

jrethorst wrote:On the PPC, SS still "crashes" at startup, i.e. click Close and it loads normally.
Interestingly, this "crash" happens on my PB G4 with 10.4.10 with the May 2006 snapshot, but not anymore with the August 2007 PPC build and this August 2007 UB build.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

And to know we did nothing! It must be self repairing code.

Now, if we wait long enough....

Best
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hm, things are a little more complex than I thought.

Using the May 2006 snapshot I had this 'crash' always, each time I launched SheepShaver, and I never had it with the August 2007 PPC build and with the August 2007 UB build.

But... since I compiled that PPC build, I never launched the May 2006 snapshot again. I did that just now and I did not had the 'crash'. So what has changed? One thing I can think of, is that I installed Fink (and LibSDL using Fink) in order to be able to compile the August 2007 PPC build.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, do I feel silly. :oops:
The "crash" at launch is still there, in all versions of SheepShaver. I had used TinkerTool to set "Don't display anything" for "When applications crash" and forgot about it. That's why the "unexpectedly quit" message did not appear anymore.
embeddedDev
Space Cadet

Post by embeddedDev »

I have been using this build to get an older version of MPW up and running on System 7.6.1. I've run it on 10.3.9 and Leopard, and it's been great. Thank you for the work you've done to make SheepShaver a better citizen, with a nicer interface (to prefs) and the improved "Unix" volume. I don't know how much of that is just you building the newest stuff in the the cvs, or your own work, but either way, I'm very happy with the results!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

We, Ronald and myself, are "pure" alpha and gamma scientists :lol: (just look at my avatar.....)

We provide builds from cvs if important changes happen, because official builds only occur once in a while. (and maybe even less frequent because of us?)

The only thing I ever changed in that code is the standard IP-address range used for the slirp DHCP server for someone who had those addresses already occupied in his network.

Good to clear that up.

Best,
Cat_7