System 7.5.5 Networking troubles.

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

anagram
Student Driver

System 7.5.5 Networking troubles.

Post by anagram »

I have installed 7.5.3 and upgraded to 7.5.5 under BasaliskII, and cannot get networking to work.
In addition, I do not get the TCP/IP control panel that I see in the installation guides.
I have a MacTCP control panel, and a hidden file in control panels called TCP/IP.

Any clues?
Is there a separate update for networking?
anagram
Student Driver

LaserWriter troubles

Post by anagram »

Related to Networking problems is that I can't see the LaserWriter in the chooser.
Will need advise about this too.
Thanks!
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Are you sure you are using System 7.5.3/7.5.5? Did you start a custom installation or an Easy Install? Remember that the setup guide is pretty much a way to start off and is not the only way to use . If you really want to make sure , go to the Apple Extras folder (comes with the installation) then application there (I can't remember the exact name) . Switch to TCP/IP and restart . You should be able to see the TCP/IP control panel there by now . I'm not surprised if Mac OS hid the TCP/IP control panel instead of putting it somewhere else .

Oh yeah , did you enable networking in the Basilisk II GUI?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: System 7.5.5 Networking troubles.

Post by emendelson »

anagram wrote:I have installed 7.5.3 and upgraded to 7.5.5 under BasaliskII, and cannot get networking to work.
In addition, I do not get the TCP/IP control panel that I see in the installation guides.
I have a MacTCP control panel, and a hidden file in control panels called TCP/IP.

Any clues?
Is there a separate update for networking?
Yes. You may need to install Open Transport 1.1.2. It's downloadable from Apple's web site:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Su ... ll.sea.bin

EDIT: But Ronald's method (next message) is easier if it's possible on your system. (I needed to install OpenTransport on my 7.5.5 system.)
Last edited by emendelson on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

anagram wrote:I have installed 7.5.3 and upgraded to 7.5.5 under BasaliskII, and cannot get networking to work.
Some 7.5.3 installers will install both the classic networking (with MacTCP and Network control panels) and the OpenTransport networking (with TCP/IP and AppleTalk control panels). One set is hidden and there is a "Network Software selector" in the "Apple Extras" folder to switch between the two networking systems.

See also this post: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 3706#33706
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

I did what Ronald suggested, and that got me my TCP/IP panel updated. It did not make any difference for connecting however.
I then installed the OpenTransport 1.1.2 suggested by Mac Mechanic. still fail.

More info on my set up:

In Basislisk GUI, in the Serial/Network tab, I have entered slirp for Ethernet interface. I am running Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Mac OS X 10.6.7 (two different test machines).

AppleTalk is no longer supported by the new Apple OS. Is this possibly an issue? I had to change our LaserWriter to LPD install type to get it to work on our MacPro. Do I have to do this with System755? Does anyone know how? Should I turn off AppleTalk?

Lots of questions... Thanks everyone!
It is awesome to see System 7 running on my Mac...
anne
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Exactly what do you need networking in BasiliskII for?

With "slirp" networking, you only need to set TCP/IP control panel to Ethernet and DHCP. With default settings, the OpenTransport networking software will only load when needed. As soon as you use an application that tries to connect using TCP/IP, like for instance a webbrowser, OpenTransport will load and the IP addresses will appear in the TCP/IP panel. If somehow this does not work, you can use the manual configuration to set the addresses that slirp networking in BasiliskII uses:

IP Address : 10.0.2.15
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Router Address : 10.0.2.2
Name Server Address : 10.0.2.3
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hello,
I just tried my BII setup on snow leo with System D1-7.5.3.
I configured to connect to this site with about three clicks, with the method Ronald described above.
Did you set TCP/IP to "Ethernet" and "DHCP Server"? Netscape3 gave me tons of javaScript errors, but
that should go into another topic :-)
Maybe you could try OS8 with BasiliskII. I recall things to be more straight forward with 8,
but it IS cool to have System7 on OSX.
Best wishes!
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

The absolute most import issue is to get the LaserWriter 16/600 working with System 7.5.5.
My friend has software that runs only on 7, and needs to be able to use his LaserWriter.

I was using iCab to experiment to see if I could get a Network connection, but internet is not as important.

Thanks,
anne
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

Alexandre Thanks!!!!!

I did not realize that BII needed to see these EXACT numbers.
IP Address : 10.0.2.15
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Router Address : 10.0.2.2
Name Server Address : 10.0.2.3

Put them in, restarted a couple times, and Yay! A very messed up Google search page with Yuri Gagarin themed Google Doodle!

OK Now the Apple LaserWriter!
-anne
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

AppleTalk will not work with slirp networking, so you need to set up IP printing. As far as I know, LaserWriter 8 version 8.5.1 is the first version to support IP printing and the Desktop Printer Utility. However, in my 7.5.5 installation (updated from 7.5.3) I still have version 8.3.4 that came with 7.5.3. Probably the same in your 7.5.5 system.

(Here is an old (1997) article about the "new" features in LaserWriter 8.5.1: http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech ... index.html)

With a LaserWriter 8 that supports IP printing, you can use Desktop Printing Utility to set up a LPR printer that can print directly to the printer's IP address. A later LaserWriter 8 version and the Desktop Printer Utility need to be installed separately in 7.5.5, but I do not know where you could still find that software.

Could you use MacOS 7.6.1? It probably installs both as part of the system installation.

BTW: My name is not Alexandre, "Alexandre Daigle" is my rank in this forum like "Space Cadet" is your rank so far. (Alexandre Daigle is a Canadian hockey player).
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Some software, including those for printers, can be found here:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html
Hope you can manage the printing job.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This page has a download link to the needed software and describes how to set up the LPR printer:
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/rcf/FAQs/macLPR/macLPR.htm

Here is a Apple Support article about how to set up a LPR printer:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA37368?viewlocale=en_US
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

Ronald,

Thanks for LaserWriter 8.5.1 tip. I will search for that software.

RE:
BTW: My name is not Alexandre, "Alexandre Daigle" is my rank in this forum like "Space Cadet" is your rank so far. (Alexandre Daigle is a Canadian hockey player).

Well, they don't call me 'Space Cadet' for nothing!
<red face>

-a
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

24bit wrote:Netscape3 gave me tons of javaScript errors, but
that should go into another topic :-)
Don't enable Javascript , or disable the Javascript error reporting . Netscape 3 enables Javascript by default , and then spams you with Javascript errors everytime you go to a site like Google . I always turn my Javascript off , since they usually crash my emulator or hang it for quite awhile . Huge performance slowdown .
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:One set is hidden and there is a "Network Software selector" in the "Apple Extras" folder to switch between the two networking systems.
Yes , Network Software Selector! Gotta start remembering such names...

Somebody should make a Mac OS X port of the Basilisk II Router these days...
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

Thanks folks for the software links and info.
Installed LaserWriter 8.5.1 recommended for my OS 7.5.5.
(Regrettably, this is the desired OS, as a needed application stopped working on later versions).

Running "Desktop Printer Utility", I can get all the way to VERIFY the printer, but it does not find it.
AppleTalk still sees no zones. (I have tried slirp ON and OFF in the BII GUI, no difference).
I followed instructions on this page:
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/rcf/FAQs/macLPR/macLPR.htm

@24bit : what version of snow leo did you use?

-anne
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Your installation will never see appletalk zones when you only use TCP/IP networking through Slirp. That's normal, you will need to use the IP-address of the printer in the desktop printer utility.

Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Just for the records Anne, it is a Hackintosh E5700 running 10.6.7.
I had trouble at times with printer setups since the days of my Amiga,
apprehending the printer drivers were invented somewhere in hell :-)
Apple devices would work without problems usually, but emulation made some new rules.

Somewhere in the forum is a thread about printing to postscript and sending the file to print with a script.
That seemed to be a reasonable approach, but I did not try.

Best wishes!
anagram
Student Driver

Post by anagram »

Hi,

@ Cat_7
I have entered the IP address of the printer into the Desktop Printer utility. I press the verify button and it spends a long while looking, and then says it cannot verify.

My current work around is to print to pdf, and copy file to unix drive. Hoping for a better solution.

Thanks!
Anne
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apparently it cannot connect to the printer. That is strange. "Verify" should work with the IP address of almost any device (printer or not) that is connected to the same network as the host that BasiliskII runs on. Of course that device, the printer, must be on and have a static IP address assigned to it.

An alternative is to set up a desktop printer to print to a PostScript file that is saved in a folder inside the 'Unix' disk that has, in the shared folder on the Mac OS X side, a Folder Action Script assigned to it that will automatically print an appearing PostScript file to your default printer on the Mac OS X side. (That can be any printer, not necessarily a PS printer.)
See: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 1236#31236
RobertMVelasquez1996
Space Cadet

Post by RobertMVelasquez1996 »

Thank you so much Ronald. That same thing of the two network software switching happened to me also.