After crash of BasiliskII build 142, all disks locked

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Knight
Student Driver

After crash of BasiliskII build 142, all disks locked

Post by Knight »

I use Basilisk II build 142.

I was using it in a window.

I clicked outside the window where Basilisk II was several times.

Then Basilisk II crashed after I clicked once more outside of the window.

I got a error message: Unhandled exception occured. Basilisk II is shutting down.

Then I clicked OK but the program didn't close.

You could then not do anything anymore. I could then not shut the Basilisk II- emulated Mac down from Special/ Shut Down. I pressed End Task from Task Manager, which said this program is not responding. Then I clicked on the End Now button.

I started Basilisk II again and it was fine.

Then I clicked a few times again outside the window that has Basilisk II.

Basilisk II crashed again.

I saw a warning message that I saw while clicking on the BBEdit Lite 4.6 alias and then moving it a bit on the desktop while not intending that. I got a message with the warning icon that talked about locked disks. I looked up the wording by moving the BBEdit 4.6 alias to a another place on the desktop. The exact wording is: "Items from locked disks cannot be moved to the desktop. Do you want to copy "BBEdit Lite 4.6" to the startup disk? (It will appear on the desktop.)"

Nevermind that I just moved the icon just another place on the desktop. I did not move the file- the alias- anywhere else on the disk.

Why is moving a icon to a another place on the desktop considered moving anyway? Moving means to move to a another folder or disk.

I used ResEdit, which had the following message on opening a file: The file 'Endgame Graphics' is on a locked volume. Changes will not be saved.

I looked at the disk I've called macos after opening it in the Finder. The upper corner of the window showed a lock icon.

I looked at all my other disks. They have become locked too.

The files themselves are not shown as locked in Get Info... and for some reason the Locked checkbox in Get Info... is with gray color.

ResEdit does also not show files I opened as locked. The checkbox Locked is blank.

Is there a way to stop the disks being locked?

For example, a program that can used to unlock disks. That needs to work on System 7.5.5.

I have System 7.5.5 in Basilisk II. I don't have the full System 7.5 that can be downloaded from Apples servers, because I used WarBeasts emulation tutorial. That tutorial tells you only to download Starterdisk.hfv. That hfv contains the System Folder; Aladdin Expander 5.5 installer; a alias to StuffIt Expander; and SimpleText. Then it tells you to create a HFV file. With HFV Explorer, that it tells you to download.

I have 2 Basilisk II folders; 1 with the Starterdisk that I don't use and never used much.

Then I have a another Basilisk II folder where there is a disk on the desktop called macos that has the System Folder. That disk is macos.dsk. That was the Basilisk II folder where the disks are locked. That folder has also 5 other .dsk files and 1 .hfv file (not Starterdisk.hfv). The macos disk also has System 7.5.5 (just like the folder with Starterdisk).

I could just make a new disk with HFV Explorer (I think that wouldn't be locked), make it big enough to hold all of the files in all of my disks, and then move all files there using System 7.5.5. Then I could delete the not-working old disks (by deleting the .dsk and .hfv files in Windows). But is there a easier solution? Something that I would not need to do this.

I am writing here because a person on this forum on this has made the newest version of Basilisk II for Windows. I thought this forum is the only one that knows how to fix disk locked in Basilisk II for Windows.

More info: I am running Vista Home Premium with SP2. The Screen type is Windows GDI in BasiliskIIGUI.exe. I have 2 GB of memory and a Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card. The RAM size in Screen tab in BasiliskIIGUI is 200 megabytes, and the ROM is a Quadra 650.

P.S. Disks are Mount this volume read/write in BasiliskIIGUI.

Edit: I restarted, used Windows XP, shut down, started again, and used Vista. Disks no longer locked. I guess this means it's one of the no- reason things. You can still reply if you think you have a reason.