Cannot map second Kernel Data area:487

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Buddha
Student Driver

Cannot map second Kernel Data area:487

Post by Buddha »

I'm getting this error again. After running for months, it suddenly reappeared yesterday. I reinstalled everything and it went away for almost 24 hours. Now it's back. I've reinstalled the GTK runtimes 4 times. I've disabled my AV, and used msconfig to disable every startup program I have. I've installed every version of the program I can find.

If there is any mercy in this group, can someone PLEASE give me a solution that even an obvious imbecile such as myself can understand. No references to other posts that lead nowhere or snarky remarks that serve no purpose please.

I'll be eternally grateful to anyone who will just tell me step by step how to get this blasted thing up and keep it up.

Thanx,

Buddha
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Cannot map second Kernel Data area:487

Post by Cat_7 »

It's not good when the buddha gets upset ;-)

But there is no simple solution to your SheepShaver-related problem. Somehow some other program on your machine is using memory that SheepShaver needs to use.
This is not nice of SheepShaver, but we currently can't help it. But there is also no need to reinstall SheepShaver or related programs.

We can only offer some hints:
-Close down as many programs as you can (after a clean start). I've seen problems with firefox, daemon tools and others.
-Try to minimize the amount of memory allocated to SheepShaver in the Preferences, but no less than 64 Mb.

Best,
Cat_7
Buddha
Student Driver

Post by Buddha »

I've used msconfig to shut down everything that loads on startup. I've tried every available option in the Sheepshaver GUI for memory allocation. I'm still getting the alert, and Sheepshaver will not load at all.

Buddha
Buddha
Student Driver

Post by Buddha »

Well, Sheepshaver's fixed itself again. I'd be lying if I claimed to understand why, or why it quit to begin with.

I haven't changed anything on my system, but I copied the whole Sheepshaver folder to a flash drive, which I hope will help the next time it decides to stop working.

Thanx for answering,

Buddha
Alfa
Space Cadet

Post by Alfa »

THE SIMPLEST SOLUTION AT THE MOMENT:
Restart your computer and quickly open MacOS 9.